(XNA) possible to change 3D model textures during gameplay?

Started by
11 comments, last by cNoob 15 years, 8 months ago
Hoping this is possible. I have basic skybox which everyone knows about. I want to be able to change the textures on the skybox during gameplay. So it essentially is a basic way of animating the sky. Any examples or links would be great. [Edited by - soarah on August 3, 2008 9:10:59 PM]
Advertisement
Sure, just call SetValue on the EffectParameter that corresponds to the texture. The model processor will do this when the model is first loaded with the texture specified in the material, but you can just simply override that whenever you want.

Had a go, but it didn't like it and gave me an ArgumentNullException
            foreach (ModelMesh mesh in model.Meshes)            {                foreach (BasicEffect effect in mesh.Effects)                {                    //effect.Texture = texture;                    effect.CurrentTechnique = effect.Techniques["Textured"]; //exception here                    effect.Parameters["xTexture"].SetValue(texture);                    effect.EnableDefaultLighting();                    effect.View = viewMatrix;                    effect.Projection = projectionMatrix;                    effect.World = transforms[mesh.ParentBone.Index] * worldMatrix;                }                mesh.Draw();             }

[Edited by - soarah on August 4, 2008 4:05:27 AM]
Well wait a minute here...are you using a custom HLSL effect or are you using a BasicEffect? I'd assume you're using a custom effect since you're rendering a skybox...in which case you shouldn't have BasicEffect's bound to your ModelMesh materials. You should have just regular Effect instances.

If somehow you are using BasicEffect, you wouldn't set the HLSL parameter directly...you'd set the texture to the Texture property.
Yeah I am just using the BasicEffect, It seems to be possible to render the skybox using HLSL or BasicEffect.

Quote:If somehow you are using BasicEffect, you wouldn't set the HLSL parameter directly...you'd set the texture to the Texture property.

effect.Texture = texture; ?

I tried this but it doesn't want to change during game play, only each time you start the game.

Also in theory every time you want to change the texture; say with the press of a button... you would have to call the whole Draw function for the model. Doesn't that go through the process of drawing the model AGAIN and not just change the texture.

[Edited by - soarah on August 4, 2008 7:42:15 PM]
Anyone else have any ideas? doesn't just have to be a skybox can be any 3d model.
Quote:Original post by soarah
Also in theory every time you want to change the texture; say with the press of a button... you would have to call the whole Draw function for the model. Doesn't that go through the process of drawing the model AGAIN and not just change the texture.

Well of course, you can't change what's already been drawn. All you can do is overwrite it.
For me, i did something like this with a mouse cursor

you can have 1 texture per frame and 1 texture called "CurrentSkyTexture"
in each game loop, increment some counter [perhaps i?]
lets say you had 5 frames
(int i = 0 outside of main)
texture frame1;
texture frame2;
texture frame3;
texture frame4;
texture frame5;
texture currentFrame;
switch(++i)
{
case 1: currentframe = frame2; break;
case 2: currentframe = frame3; break;
case 3: currentframe = frame4; break;
case 4: currentframe = frame5; break;
default: currentframe = frame1; i = 0; break;
}
that shold do it =/
hope that helps?
[although i think im telling you the wrong thing or something]
Quote:Original post by warthog518
For me, i did something like this with a mouse cursor

you can have 1 texture per frame and 1 texture called "CurrentSkyTexture"
in each game loop, increment some counter [perhaps i?]
lets say you had 5 frames
(int i = 0 outside of main)
texture frame1;
texture frame2;
texture frame3;
texture frame4;
texture frame5;
texture currentFrame;
switch(++i)
{
case 1: currentframe = frame2; break;
case 2: currentframe = frame3; break;
case 3: currentframe = frame4; break;
case 4: currentframe = frame5; break;
default: currentframe = frame1; i = 0; break;
}
that shold do it =/
hope that helps?
[although i think im telling you the wrong thing or something]

Yeah I understand what your doing here
Quote:Original post by MJP
Quote:Original post by soarah

Well of course, you can't change what's already been drawn. All you can do is overwrite it.

Ok so now your more or less saying you cant change the texture of a 3D model while your playing the game, because once you call your drawModel method that's it drawn and you cant go back and change things about it during run time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement