mip mapping question (direct X)

Started by
0 comments, last by jollyjeffers 15 years, 8 months ago
something im not too clear on: how is mipmapping generally handled by directX? is it on a per-triangle basis or a per-draw call basis? also, ive read auto-mip map generation is available on some cards but not most, so i'm not sure if i want to use it - does it take up a lot of CPU or something to do? I'm also not sure if its something that has to do manually or not to avoid the card doing it; i assume D3DUSAGE_AUTOGENMIPMAP uses the card for automatic mip-mapping, but im not sure about IDirect3DBaseTexture9::GenerateMipSubLevels. Then again it might just be dated information.
Advertisement
Mip-mapping is a rasterization level feature and will be done on a per-pixel level as far as I understand it. In reality there may be various hacks on GPU's to determine coefficients per-primitive or per-block (n*n pixels) but conceptually you'd be fine assuming it's a per-pixel operation.

The resource managers will use algorithms to determine which mip levels are available in VRAM at the time rasterization occurs. I can't actually remember the details here, but they're definitely much coarser decisions based on guesstimates as to actual need versus available VRAM and contention ratios.

Auto-generated mip-maps are useful for dynamically changing resource - just as a render target where you only want to draw to the top-level but want the device to down-sample it for you.

For regular static image data you should stick with load-time or preferrably offline mip-map generation depending on your toolchain and storage requirements.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement