• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
n3Xus

[C++] Reading XML files tutorial

This topic is 3605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got myself the xerces xml parser but I don't any idea how to use it. the thing is that I'dont know much about XML (I've gone through tutorials, but I figured out that wasn't enough). so I have some questions: What is DOM,SAX? these names were popping up lot What must I learn if I wan't to load XML files in my app with C++?

Advertisement
DOM stands for Document Object Model. SAX stands for Simple API for XML. That's a lot of buzzwords, but what it comes down to is that a DOM parser will create a structure in memory that contains all XML nodes. XML nodes can have nodes inside them so it's essentially a tree structure. Once a DOM parser is finished you can go through this structure to find the data you need. A SAX parser works a little different: it doesn't build a structure, but it allows you to specify the actions to take whenever the parser finds a specific element. Pretty useful if you're only looking for some specific data and you don't want to waste memory on a full-blown structure.

thanks for the explanation. does anyone know any good tutorials, step-by-step, from creating a simple xml file to loading and reading it in C++?

Quote:
Original post by n3Xus
What must I learn if I wan't to load XML files in my app with C++?

I would suggest using TinyXML, or possibly TinyXML++ if you're an advanced C++ programmer. Both of these are fairly lightweight (certainly lighter than Xerces) and well-documented C++ XML parsers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!