• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
umen242

beginner question looking for cross platform 3d engine

This topic is 3663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all i like to start doing casual games in 3d and i hope not to reinvent the wheel so to start i need cross platform ( linux , mac , win) 3d engine that is freeware can you experts give me recommendation about such engine . im c++ programmer . so engine in c++ will be great. Thanks allot

Advertisement
I'm also a beginner, and I'm curious what engines are a good idea to start with, if anyone can provide some helpful tips in that area.

I'm not especially looking to develop for several desktop platforms, but I'm concerned with the possibility of an engine that can port to one or more consoles, should I want to go that route later.

As far as style of game, I have several rough concepts, and most of them would seem to favor "sandbox" gameplay, if that matters. I would like an engine that is capable of producing expansive environments. I'm new to programming (brand new, actually), so something relatively easy to learn while being full of features would be good.

I've been checking various engines and middleware SDKs from internet searches, and it seems to be a huge list with some being "free" and a ton costing somewhere beyond my means. I would absolutely like to produce commercially, but for now I'd just like to use the "big boys' toys" and learn as I go.

the important question for me is what is more standard fixable for NOT beginner programmer (10 years ) but new to 3d programming ( not 3d concepts )
from the wiki i read its seams that there is more sympathy with the OGRE engine .

If you're looking to put something out there with the smallest learning curve, make sure you pick an engine with a good support community. I don't know if you can find this in the free category. We use C4 at work and are extremely happy with the support.

Depending on what you want to do with your game you might need to be mindful of the license. If you are working on free stuff/commerical PC then the LGPL licenced engines will be fine as long as you at least link to a dll holding the game engine. But SeeThirty was talking about consoles and the LGPL engines won't work as there is no real way for the user to make changes to the engine code.

I know this is fairly useless for a beginners forum, but it never hurts to think in the long term. Be a shame to spend a few years tooling around with a engine and making a great game you want to sell only to find out the day before shipping the engine license is incompatible.

just to be sure , the IrrLicht and ogre license has no problem to
be used in commercial right ?
another question that im not sure to find in the docs of the engines
what engine is more flexible in terms of video cards ( im not sure this is the right terms )

Quote:
Original post by umen242
just to be sure , the IrrLicht and ogre license has no problem to be used in commercial right?
IrrLicht's license pretty much allows you to do what you want with the engine an code. OGRE is LGPL, so you can use it in commercial software, as long as you dynamically link (normal for PCs, not possible on most consoles).
Quote:
what engine is more flexible in terms of video cards ( im not sure this is the right terms )
IrrLicht probably has the best behaviour on ancient cards (and even a pair of software renderers), but you pay for it in flexibility - modern effects can require hacking the engine source itself. OGRE provides a decent balance, with a pretty robust fallback system, and good shader support. Horde3d only runs on recent cards (and not on most integrated GPUs), but you get the full power of a modern, shader based approach.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!