• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Corygb

My first (C++ & SDL) Linux Game!

This topic is 3607 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone! I just finished a puzzle game in C++ using the SDL library and I want you to tell me what you think! It is only for LINUX!!! (sorry LINUX is much easier to program for) you can find it here: http://anoyance.googlepages.com/dripthegame The source code is included if you wanna tweak it or look at it.

Advertisement
Congrats! [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Corygb
It is only for LINUX!!!

Why is that? SDL also works nice on other platforms as you know.
Also, any screens?

He might only be running linux and can't compile on windows. I am too a big fan of linux (I dual-boot windows xp and debian testing/unstable).

Right now I'm on windows because I'm working with the sourceSDK.

I'm glad to see others programming on linux. I wish it was more popular for game development so I could get rid of windows all together (:

Oh I haven't run a Windows machine, except when required at school and work, since we support Windows, for a few years. I have a Macbook Pro which I dual boot with Ubuntu, my desktop is Debian testing/unstable, and my server is Debian stable. But I have yet to see anything that Linux does better than Windows, seeing as most(if not all) development libraries and applications are available on Windows as well.

The only exception I can really think of is kernel development, which is one of my main reasons for the full switch to Linux, I couldn't imagine trying to compile the kernel in Windows, maybe in Cygwin, maybe...

I was just wondering if there was some miraculous Linux development secret out there I had yet to discover.

http://anoyance.googlepages.com/Screenshot.png

There is one screenshot.
I am addicted to makefiles and their ease for developing. As for the preference. I mostly use Linux from the command line so I know everything my computer is doing. It is simply my choice, nothing more. I am sure Windows works fine, I just like Linux better.

Wow fun game once I figured out how to play, a tutorial might be nice. Nice artwork too. I'm stuck on level 6 right now. Are you planning on making more levels? 7 seems like too few.

I only develop on Linux now too (though if I were you, I'd port this game to Windows). Developing on Windows is like using a computer with the screen resolution set lower than you are used to. Irritating in ways that are hard to explain.

I got a Windows build done, but running it results in it opening and instantly closing. It's probably a mistake on my part, but at that point I lost interest.

Well done, though. One thing I would say is that you have everything packed into a single, 783 line, file. I'd recommend splitting stuff out into different files (it's easier to maintain, and potentially faster to build) as appropriate. Another would be to comment that rather than 'loadLevel2' and the like, you'd want a single 'loadLevel' function that takes a parameter that somehow specifies which level to load (a filename, an index, or something). Finally: building it resulted in quite a few warnings. It's considered good practice to correct these.

I am a windows user, sad to say im just to used to most windows applications, and behavior. I started with Dos a long time ago, and I still like dos somehow more than GUI.. And that is only for my pc where I type on ones in a while:D. I just like the commandline, and you can do more in linux with it.

With SDL and C++ is should be easy to port is.. but why should you. Some more people should at least try a live CD and download your game ( im running double boot, so I will boot into linux tonight to check it out. )

Unbeliever,
Sorry about the coding. This game was actually written a few months ago. I have been going back to all my past projects and fixin them up a bit. I have recently learned all the header stuff and classes and my latest projects are all much cleaner, trust me. Also, the LoadLevel and LoadLevel2 thing. LoadLevel was used in the prototype and LoadLevel2 is the final build. I just left a lot of junk in there that I may eventually sort through and get rid of. (I don't think LoadLevel is even used really!) I hope to have some of my later projects up soon that are much different and much easier to understand.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!