OpenGL vs. Direct3D

Started by
2 comments, last by Smack0007 24 years, 4 months ago
For future reference, it's hard to get away with a comment like this in the computer world without an argument.

Anyways, I personally found Direct3D to make more sense than OpenGL. At first OpenGL seemed a lot easier, but then it came to things like pixel formats and textures and I just got confused. The things just didn't seem documented well (probably my fault for failing to find it, I dunno...). From what I've seen, preference when it comes to 3D APIs usually comes from some bad experience with one or another.

Advertisement
I agree, it pretty much comes down to what you prefer. I've programmed in both OpengGL and Direct3D and they seem to work about the same, just have little differences. You just have to find out what you like.
- I don't pretend to know anything.Snowsoft
Im not trying to start another big arguement but my personal feeling on this subject is OpenGL all the way. I read a book on Direct3D and I am still not as good as I am in OpenGL. Only took my a few days to learn the OpenGL API and I still really don't get the Direct3D API. The code is also so much shorter.

------------------
zac@qisfl.net
Snowsoft Online

- I don't pretend to know anything.Snowsoft
FINALLY, some mature, and well thought out answers to this question I agree all the way. They're both used for industry leading games, so obviously they've both got what it takes. Try them both out, and pick whichever one you like working with best. Same goes for operating systems, compilers, automobiles, candy bars, etc, etc...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement