Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

freshya

MSVC playing up

For some strange reason, after reinstalling MSVC after a format, it has started to act peculiarly. The problem is that after a modification in any one file, it wants to rebuild each and every file in the whole project. As you can imagine, this is damned annoying. Is there a setting to disable this? (i don''t know why anyone would enable it in the first place!) If not, should I just reinstall? Thanks for any advice...

a simalar thing happened to me. it rebuilds all the files, but only on one or two projects. most projects will only rebuild any modified files. the only simalarites that i can think of between the two proects is that they are both big. Both over 100 .cpp and .h files and both over 25MB source+build files.

The EXACT same thing happened to me. This is how I fixed it. You don''t have to re-install. Re-installing VC++ won''t fix your problem in fact because the problem is actually embedded in the project files. (Trust me, I tried to re-install) You need to create a new project and re-add all the files.

Hope this helps.

LynnTheMan

Guest Anonymous Poster
Make sure your system time/date is not messed up. If it''s in the past, before the last modification date of the files, VC will keep rebuilding them over and over.

Okay, will do!

wingman20: Yeah this is a big project, but not _that_ big. My smaller projects didn''t suffer from this problem however.

anon: strangley enough, my date was 1 day behind (how did you know?) but that still didn''t fix the problem - it shouldn''t matter anyway because if the system clock says "yesterday", my source files will be modified "yesterday" and i will be building at "yesterday + a few minutes", but I see what the problem could be.