Anti-Virus that doesn't kill performance

Started by
32 comments, last by Promit 15 years, 8 months ago
ClamWin Free Antivirus is a free, open source virus scanner that has no real impact on system performance for the simple reason that it doesn't do anything unless you ask or schedule it to. It lacks the real-time protection features found in many other security programs, however if you are just interested in scanning the occasional program downloaded from the internet, it gets the job done. You can also ask it to scan currently running processes and schedule virus definition updates and full system scans with it.

I've used it on a few computers and it hasn't caused me any problems. I should warn you, though, that I don't actually know how good its detection rate is.
Advertisement
I also like ClamWin. Horrible name, good program.

Also
The reason your computer runs slow is not because of your processor but your hard drive. Your AV is constantly scanning files and be a general pain to your hard drive. Meanwhile your game tries to load those pretty textures but has to wait because your AV is hogging the drive. A few things to try and fix this may be more system/video memory or a second hard drive that you only put games on and force your AV not to touch at least while your playing games. I don't know if those will work but they are just suggestions.
Hope that helps,
zach297
I'm using the free version of BitDefender. The free version doesn't support real time active scanning; it only does on demand scans. I simply run it at irregular intervals, but you can set up regular scans easily enough. It's a very effective antivirus program, with very high detection rates.

In the paid arena, I believe Kaspersky is considered top notch. Avira Antivir supposedly barely hurts your system at all, and they have a free version as well. Quick reading shows that ClamWin has a lot of promise, which is not quite fulfilled yet. Maybe give it another year. Personally I think on demand is fine for anyone who is competent with computers, which we here are (mostly) but the populace in general is not.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement