Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ak37

The Maximum amount of triangles

How many triangles are used in your program before it comes to a extreme slowdown (below 8 fps). Is rendering 100.000 triangles in one screen and having extreme slowdowns logical ? And anybody knows how to set OGL so that it does not display hidden objects. (Objects that is off screen), or it must be done manually ?

well, you touched a BIG issue:

HOW FAST IS MY MACHINE ??!!??

I can tell you that it depends on many parameters, but 100,000 triangles is a lot, so it might be ok to have a slowdown...

On the other topic, removing hidden objets has to be done manually. Check if the object is in the viewing area, and if not, don''t render it.
It will save you a lot of power!! and speed!!

good luck

Of course turning on backface culling never hurts. well unless ure lazy and havent defined ure tirangle verteces in a clock wise direction

~prevail by daring to fail~

IF you''re also using lighting, texturing or any other 3D features, 100,000 visible triangles is a bit extreme for real-time use on most machines right now. I''d aim for more like 20-50,000 triangles at most, and that''s for a relatively high-end gaming machine.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Depends what sort of triangles they are. A GeForce2 can do 20million+ per second if they are simple.

>>And anybody knows how to set OGL so that it does not display hidden objects. (Objects that is off screen), or it must be done manually <<

u have to do this yourself. its called culling.

heres what u should be aiming for roughly

1024x768x16 (multitextured and lit)

tnt1,voodoo2 80,000 tris a sec
voodoo3,tnt2 150,000 tris a sec
voodoo5 500,000 tris a sec
geforce/radeon 1-2 million a sec

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Thanks for the info. So 100.000 is to many for common systems.
Umm, How do you do Culling ? Because I don''t quite understand (pretty new to 3D, about 3 months with OGL). Or can someone tell me a tutorial page for culling.