Modeling Software

Started by
7 comments, last by theOcelot 15 years, 8 months ago
Does anyone know of a site where i can download free modeling software from? Similar to maya? or do maya have a free starter package out there? Thanks, Peter
Advertisement
try Blender 3D
I believe there is a student version of maya. I don't know what the limitations are.
There is also Blender3D which is totally free
Supposedly they used it to prototype a scene from spiderman.

It's quite good, I spent a few years using it. I don't know about its directx exporter though, never tried it.

http://www.blender3d.com
XSI Mod Tool
Heck of a lot better interface than Blender and has a bit less limitations than the learning edition of Maya.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Freespace is also, well, free and a fairly decent program. To get the free version you need to sign up for the XNA game developers network from Microsoft. They have free accounts and it's one of the free resources.

I'm 3D/graphic design challenged and it works for me. Seriously, I'm drawing impaired.

[edit] Oops, I meant trueSpace. Thanks Daaark

[Edited by - tehXKnight on August 10, 2008 12:07:13 PM]
trueSpace 7.6 is completely free, with NO limitations.

caligari.com
I have downloaded a trial version of most of the popular 3d modeling tools, sketchup was the easiest one to get started with but it is extremely limited. Cinema 4D has a nice GUI, lightwave, max, maya and xsi are similar but none of them will magically create professional looking models. The first time I tried Blender I found the GUI extremely strange then I download some video tutorials (blenderunderground.com) and after learning how to use it I must say I like it much more than all the other modeling packages. Blender is a good modeling tool, the uv editor is powerful, it can handle animation, it has a node base material and composing system, it supports external rendering systems like yafray and indigo, it let you bake materials and lightmaps, it has built in support for physics and fluid simulation... and it is free.
Thanks for all the advice i downloaded maya the starter package and then looked for some vids on youtube and some had the massive watermark right through them, so i thought that kinda suckss, if i make something really good i dont want that too happen + i dont want to get a cracked copy and contribute to the death of game and software companies + i didnt want to fork out $2000 on it,

So i am just about to download truespace.

thanks again

I personally love blender's interface. After getting used to it, I think more interfaces should be designed more like Blender's.

I wonder why no one has mentioned Wings 3d yet, though. I've never used it, but it seems that if you just wanted the basics and not all the complicated stuff, it would be ideal. I would really recommend blender though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement