Sign in to follow this  
Jawnvme

Game Idea, kinda cool.

Hey, I don't know how to program. Or do anything related to game development but, I would really like to learn. I want to create this game, it's a MMO game set up like an FPS where you choose a server and log in and start shooting. Except it's not a FPS it's third person i guess you'd call it (Like WoW). And the goal is for the players to PvP other players/teams. In such an environment. (Using medival mages) I have an idea of exactly how I want the PvP to be setup but those are minor details. I hope that is easily understood, I have trouble getting idea's and concepts from my mind into words. Where do I start?

TLDR version: Clarify Thoughts, Write Design Doc, File it for a later date, start learning software design/development principles, Make a few games, eventually revisit your original idea.

My suggestion would be to mull over your thoughts some more and try to clarify your thoughts. Once you've done that you can write a design doc. Ultimately MMOs are a huge undertaking even for companies, and I wouldn't recommend starting your game development adventure like ant pushing a boulder up a hill developing an MMO cause you will most likely burn out and abandon your passion for it all together.

From what I gather you are talking about a MMO where you can use "powers" against other players in a sort of instanced manner where a hosted game is an instance. The largest problem i see with that is balancing because what would be stopping the more powerful players teaming up to crush the lower level characters.

Quote:
Original post by Jawnvme
I have trouble getting idea's [sic] and concepts from my mind into words.

Where do I start?

Start by improving your communication skills. Getting ideas from your mind into words is essential to game design.

I agree with Tom. If your team can't figure out what you want, they can't make the game you envisioned. And you will need a team for a game that ambitious.

Start with Tetris, then do pac-man, then a simple platformer. These are all easy enough to do with 3D even.

First step though, learn how to do a game write-up so you don't forget your great idea. I know that I've forgotten plenty myself.