assembly language in game programming

Started by
43 comments, last by Antheus 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi, Does the assembly language have any place in game development ? Would it be a good idea for me to start picking it up ?
Advertisement
Do you program for fun. Assembly is fun.
Quote:Original post by Dolf
Hi,

Does the assembly language have any place in game development ?
Would it be a good idea for me to start picking it up ?

I think you mean game programming with assembly.
I've never made a professional game. It'd guess you shouldn't use assembly. You can only be an expert on so many things -- can't hope to be a professional artist and game programmer. Even in game programming, there are specialties. Therefore, assembly will probably spread you too thin.
No, almost no one uses it. It's not a marketable skill.

But, any knowledge is good. If you learn assembly, you'll probably have a better idea of what your C compiler is doing, and you'll write better C.
Quote:Original post by Dolf
Hi,

Is the question actually 'does assembly language have any place in game development?', or is it really 'would learning assembly language be a good use of my time at this point?'.

The second question is probably the more interesting one, but to answer that we need to know more about your background and your goals. What kinds of games do you want to write? What platforms do you want to target? And what is your programming background?

Quote:
Original post by losethos
Do you program for fun. Assembly is fun.

That is kind of cool ^^

Quote:
Original post by Dolf
Hi,

Well I'm no expert at all but the more you know the better it seems to be in game development however is Assembly (talking about x86 assembly here) used in game development ? Probably but not widely from what I know. It might be used only for high optimisation.

Losethos is right here just do it ^^
Ofcourse I'm going to do it for fun, but would it be practical in game programming (read: optimisation)?

Edit: I know assembly is faster than C++, but are there actually engines that are partionally optimised in assembly? Is it practical?
Quote:...but would it be practical in game programming (read: optimisation)?
The answer is probably 'no'.

However, you should really answer the questions I posed earlier (target platforms and programming experience in particular). That will make it easier for us to provide a useful answer.
This is kinda sad, but I think aspiring to game programming professionally might be like getting into professional sports. Ask yourself... am I that good? Otherwise, your dreams might not pan-out.

Every programmer wants to do games and very few do.

I wrote an operating system for amateur games. (All people without professional artists in their team are amateur.) It has crappy resolution, but you weren't hoping to twiddle pixels all day anyway.

You can use programming skills for other stuff, so no harm, but being a game programmer is pretty ambitious.

You might check-out LoseThos, my operating system. You can learn a lot--assembly if you wish-- but it not all that directly relevant to standard graphics libraries. Might find you like operating system programming. I like operating system stuff more than games, believe it or not. I used to like games... doesn't thrill me anymore.

LoseThos

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement