Sign in to follow this  
strawberreh

Dreams of Designing

strawberreh    122
Today is Monday, the 11th of August 2008, and I begin to write this approximately 2 hours before I ride off to University. I am studying a Bachelor of Arts, and my subjects range from Effective Writing courses to Communications and Media. However, I have recently realised – from the dual impact of limited enjoyment in my course and the expenses required to continue – that I want to become completely immersed in the world of Game Design. Since the age of 14, I have played a myriad of games to say the least. My enjoyment has spanned all genres of gaming, however many notable games have arisen. I believe that in order for me to achieve my goal not only as a Game Designer, but as a designer of a phenomenal game, I need to evaluate the games I have enjoyed not only for their first impressions, but for their lasting ones also. From RPGs such as Diablo II, to strategy games such as Starcraft and Age of Empires, the minutes have stretched into hours and sometimes days where I could not satiate my need to get that build-altering item, kill that last fugitive Zergling or show Genkis Khan the effectiveness of a Byzantine blade. FPS games such as the unshakable Halo and Half Life series also provided great deals of satisfaction; however, I have come to understand that the portion of gaming known as ‘Role-Playing’ continues to stay ahead of its competitors with one aspect: replayability. It is for this reason that I want to become involved in the design of RPGs, not only because of their increased longevity in the eyes of the buyer but also because there is a depth to them that you cannot sample from first-person shooters. Sure, blending RPGs with FPSs has been attempted before...however, I know as an experienced gamer that their titles are not amongst the supreme. I shall devoid from naming any games that I have felt were sub-par in comparison to the games I have grown to love; please know, however, that I can pin-point why these games are so flawed and that I understand what makes my favourite titles so unique. As I am currently studying an English Degree, I believe I have an extremely good knowledge of the English language. Ever since grade 8, I have been able to prepare essays and a thesis or two the night before they were due and achieve top-end grades. I do not wish to boast here, because I believe that it was foolish to study so recklessly. I have grown to realise, through experience at University, that preparation is vital to not only yourself but the accomplishment of any team you are a part of. If I eventually achieve my goal of game designer, I know that I will be a part of a team and thus I hope my teamwork has developed sufficiently. I know full well that to be a game designer you need a detailed knowledge of computing systems and, in particular, how games work. Unfortunately, I believe I do not own a core body of software knowledge that I can apply through my dreams of game design. My education at secondary school did not provide any hint of Technical Information / Software Information studies, and thus I am disappointed in myself. I pray so dearly that this does not dash any hope for me in the area of Game Design. I also pray that my experience in gaming from an early age hopefully makes up for some of this lacking, and I know that under a good mentor I can accumulate all computing knowledge with a zeal rare seen. I shall relay to you the depth of my computing skills and hopefully you can understand my desire to achieve my dream. I operate on Windows XP, and own Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel. I am currently sitting on 98 WPM, and only ever exceed 100 WPM on online tests after a rigorous scrims in Call of Duty 4. For some reason, it appears revelling victories with team mates enables me to type faster...perhaps it is because I wish to convey my happiness more quickly? With that aside, I hope I am sufficient in this area of computing and look forward to any feedback. In regards to my computer specs, I have a Core Duo E6550 CPU @ 2.33 GHZ. I own 2GB of RAM, and also an 8800GTS graphics card. With this rig, I have been able to play games such as Half Life 2 and World of Warcraft with decent FPS and still enjoy the levels of detail that have been implemented. It is this level of detail that I pay attention to mostly, along with the replayability factor of most games. In regards to anything deeper into computing than what I have outlined, I am ashamedly lacking. I sincerely wish to bolster my skills in all areas regarding software and hardware in relation to Game Design. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it to no end. With that I say Adieu, and I pray that someone in the wide world will read this plea for help. I very much want to become a Game Designer, and any help I receive will be taken on-board and appreciated unduly. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope that I can become in contact with those knowledgeable out there in the area of Game Design. Email: speeven@gmail.com Messenger: speeven@hotmail.com

yaustar    1022
Quote:
Original post by strawberreh
..wall of text..

Quote:
Original post by strawberreh
With that I say Adieu, and I pray that someone in the wide world will read this plea for help.

Erm, what is your plea/question? I couldn't really see any direct plea/question in your post.

In any case, Tom Sloper's FAQ is a always a good place to start for anyone wanting to become a Games Designer.