DOS. Specifically, articles about it.

Started by
4 comments, last by LessBread 15 years, 8 months ago
In a recent discovery, I have found that DJGPP works perfectly well under dosbox. "Huh," I thought. I am intrigued. To feed the subsequent spurt of blatant masochism, I'm searching for old articles on DOS graphics programming, which had already passed by the time I got around to programming in favor of DirectX, etc. I have Abrash's Black Book bookmarked over at byte.com, and there are the little tutorials here on this site about Mode 13h. Want moar. So, what have you? Any links or articles would be greatly appreciated. [smile] Thanks.
Advertisement
Search for 'VESA linear framebuffer' and/or "VBE" - if I remember correctly, it's pretty nice to deal with compared to the previous graphics stuff.
Will do. [smile] I located the old Asphyxia tutorials, which is a great find again.

I have found one problem specifically with make. It apparently doesn't find a directory's Makefile (probably due to case-sensitivity under DOS *sigh*) and so that needs to be specified with make -f.
I found this great site and this on the same site. It seems to be mostly pascal with some inline assembler but it is clear what interrupt and port operations are being performed. It covers Mode X, Vesa, palette cycling, bank switching, etc.

BTW, I think Turbo C is free - you don't need any of that "new fangled" 32-bit protected mode stuff. ;-)
Here's a couple that I can still remember (and find)...

3DICA
STEEL's
Quote:Original post by crowley9
BTW, I think Turbo C is free - you don't need any of that "new fangled" 32-bit protected mode stuff. ;-)

Antique Software: Turbo C version 2.01
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement