Sign in to follow this  
darking764

What to do first?

darking764    122
Ok so i wanna design games. What do I do first? Learn 3d modeling? Programming? Nothing? I'm 14 and am about to enter freshmen year in high school.. What do i do now/future?? Colleges? Universities? Careers? I like game designing but I don't know where to start!!!

Kaycon11    122
If you want to program then you need to focus on math in school and take the highest levels of math you can. As for college programs, you should look for computer science, which is all about computers and specifically software design. Also, if you want to see some jobs and the requirements they impose for most positions, go to websites like Bungie.net, IDsoftware.com, Epicgames.com, and other game companies like that, most programming requires C++ and a bachelors degree in computer science or math, along with other skills.

p.s. also, you could start by teaching yourself to program, if I were you, I would prolly teach myself the basics with Visual basic or Free basic, and then move onto C++, C#, or java, prolly C++, and then after that you should learn a graphics api like Direct X or OpenGL, and after or during, you should learn about scripting languages such as python, lua, unrealscript, action script, and ruby, which are incorporated into a game so you can edit different variables without having to rebuild a solution.

Telastyn    3777
Grow up?

Not to be mean, but personal development is very important. Learning who you are, how you learn, what makes you truly happy, what makes you demotivated, how to interact with other people to get stuff done... Personal awareness and social skills are vital to everything you do in life; even fairly anti-social behaviors like programming need a modicum of social skills so you can at the very least be alone without seeming like an ass.

General schooling is next on the list. A lot of things that seem useless now will come in handy when dealing with weird new problems. If anything the ability to excel when dealing with crap that seems dumb is valuable. Real Life (tm) is fraught with crap that is dumb; learning to deal with it now saves headaches later. Plus excelling in school will broaden your secondary education options (and perhaps save you money via scholarships).

After that... do what you want. What is fun for you? Is 3d modeling fun? Is programming fun? Is hanging out with your buddies fun? Is working on some junker car fun? In the end, what you find the most enjoyable is probably going to be best for a career. Few people excel at stuff that they don't at least get some fun or satisfaction out of. And really, this is one of the few times in your life where you're mostly free (and capable) to do what you want. Enjoy it.

Tom Sloper    16040
Quote:
Original post by darking764
Ok so i wanna design games. What do I do first? Learn 3d modeling? Programming? Nothing?

I'm 14 and am about to enter freshmen year in high school..

Read these two articles:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm (classes to take if you want to become a game designer)
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm (stuff you can do now at home to prepare to become a game designer)