Allow Hardware Acceleration

Started by
3 comments, last by Kest 15 years, 8 months ago
Does anyone know why checking on the "Allow Hardware Acceleration" toggle in DirectX (9) control panel prevents D3D from creating a valid device? D3D makes it look as though no display modes work. I'm using full retail mode with no debug output, with NVidia GForce 7300LE, on XP. After searching for problems with my graphice engine, I tried starting up Gears of War, and it encounters the same problem. Some type of hardware acceleration is obviously enabled with the setting turned off. Otherwise, the games I'm running would be unplayable. Does anyone know what the checkbox means, or why it's causing these problems?
Advertisement
Which SDK release are you using? I have June 2008 installed and I can't find any checkbox named Allow hardware acceleration in the D3D9 control panel tab. There is a checkbox named Use hardware acceleration on the DirectDraw tab but that would hardly affect the D3D9 devices.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
I'm using the Nov 2007 SDK. I didn't realize there was a newer one out. Looking at the changes, though, there doesn't seem to be anything to be happy about.

Since they dumped the option off, I probably shouldn't be very concerned about it.. whatever it was supposed to do.
This was a known bug on that SDK, and we escalated the issue to Microsoft D3D team which has subsequently fixed it. Basically, the checkbox behaved inversely to what one might expect it to do. As far as I remember correctly, the setting just modifies a single D3D registry key.

I believe the actual use of the option is to enable testing of how applications react when there are no hardware devices around.

Niko Suni

So it must have been replaced by the "software only" option in the 2008 SDK.

That would actually be a pretty useful feature, as long as it was named properly.

Thanks for the information, N2.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement