OpenGL3.0.. I mean 2.2

Started by
336 comments, last by JMNightmare 15 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Lord_Evil
Quote:Original post by Mike.Popoloski
So I just checked, and it turns out we have plenty of room in DirectX and XNA for you guys. You can all come, nobody needs to get left out. Jack is going to make a batch of cookies for everyone!

Yep, I'm also considering coming back to DirectX. Shame on Khronos for making us rely on M$ [crying]

No kidding. I would almost like Microsoft if they somehow made DirectX cross-platform, a crazy thought in itself.

Shame shame ARB.

FlyingIsFun1217

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
Its nice to know why, but what concerns me is what do we do next? The only alternatives to windows PC's for gaming, without a more up to date OpenGL, is Cider on apple machines, or consoles. For indie game developers, this means XNA, therefore the Xbox. Either way, MS now get a further increased share of the video game market, to the point where the effect of free market competition is non existant.

But what can you do if the only real competitor kills itself with a stunt that would be the digital equivalent of a Darwin Award ?
Quote:Original post by Yann L
Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
Its nice to know why, but what concerns me is what do we do next? The only alternatives to windows PC's for gaming, without a more up to date OpenGL, is Cider on apple machines, or consoles. For indie game developers, this means XNA, therefore the Xbox. Either way, MS now get a further increased share of the video game market, to the point where the effect of free market competition is non existant.

But what can you do if the only real competitor kills itself with a stunt that would be the digital equivalent of a Darwin Award ?

Pray for a miracle to happen.

FlyingIsFun1217

I must admit I've only glanced the spec, but for now I don't get the whole deprecation thing. So, apart from checking which extensions ARE supported, I now also need to check if some parts of the functionality I use are NOT supported anymore? If they're so worried about backwards-compatibility, what would've been wrong with the opengl{1-3}.dll proposed in this thread?

The whole object design they presented looked so clean and useful. Coming up with this after creating such anticipation is just plain stupid. If they knew this was what they would come up with, being so secretive till now just makes the anti-climax worse.
Quote:Original post by V-man
This is why they say GL is for CAD. D3D is for games.

and other opengl applications that people use and develop all over the globe that run not only on windows, but also on linux and mac.

heh
Quote:Original post by OpenGL_Guru

and other opengl applications that people use and develop all over the globe that run not only on windows, but also on linux and mac.

At this point these people are thinking to themselves "Why am I forcing myself to use this torturous, outdated API just so that I can tap into less than 15% of the market?"
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Quote:Original post by Mike.Popoloski
Quote:Original post by OpenGL_Guru

At this point these people are thinking to themselves "Why am I forcing myself to use this torturous, outdated API just so that I can tap into less than 15% of the market?"

oh yeah also forgot portables via OpenglES and the PS3.

heh
Quote:oh yeah also forgot portables via OpenglES and the PS3.

While I can't speak on GL ES (AFAIK, it actually has been getting relatively radical updates), on the PS3, not many people do use GL ES. Instead, they typically just write to the command buffer directly, since it's just that much faster.
OpenGL|ES is a separate standard and problem from OpenGL, not that it matters in this context since the PS3 doesn't use OpenGL|ES. Sony provides an implementation for it that sits above the native API -- you could do the same for any other API, that one just happens to come with the package. Nobody uses it though, it's slow compared to the native interfaces.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Man you guys are being nice compared to the OpenGL boards.

The ARB got some 'splaining to do wednesday.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement