DirectX Audio 9 using C++

Started by
5 comments, last by marc_moy 15 years, 8 months ago
is there any tutorial that shows how to use DirectX Audio 9 using C++? i cant find any in google. i just want to have my game sound effects. please help.thank you very much!
Just DO it!
Advertisement
There is no such a thing (IMO). You can use directmusic to play some effects, but I would really recommend using a third party library like FMOD or something similar. FMOD for example is easy to use and has really nice features and it's free for non-comercial projects.
Check out the DirectX SDK. No tutorials that I could find but there are some sample apps that you can experiment with.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
I must admit that I don't know what the current published state is (e.g. whats in the latest SDK) but give some thought to XAudio2. I've seen a couple of demos of it in the last 18 months and it seemed like a very clean and capable API.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

would you recommend me continue to learn dxaudio?? or use some other method?

which one?

openal
fmod(?)
ogg(or ogg vorbis?)?
etc??

i really dont have any idea on sounds.

im now trying to learn it from the start.

thank you so much for your replies.
Just DO it!
What are you trying to achieve? Music playing (e.g. background theme tune) or sound effects (e.g. weapon fire) require different approaches.

XAudio2 and XACT seem to have stabilised in the Microsoft portfolio but they are still relatively new and I get the impression there aren't a lot of people publishing content online about how to use them.

The others you've listed are more commonly used so you may find more resources on them. From memory there are some license restrictions for FMOD so be sure to check those first. Ogg is a favourite of people wanting music and OpenAL was popular because it still allowed for hardware audio acceleration on Vista (all MS tech from Vista onwards is 100% software).

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

in opengl i dont use glut,so in openal,,should i use alut? i saw a tutorial here.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2008.asp

Just DO it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement