[DX9] Asynchronous read-back possible?

Started by
1 comment, last by ET3D 15 years, 8 months ago
In OpenGL, pixel buffer objects (PBO's) have the ability to asynchronously read back render target data. Im wondering if directx9 has this functionality as well. The directx docs don't mention this ability anywhere... The only function that i'm aware of that can be used to get the render target data is GetRenderTargetData() Is that function asynchronous? If not, is there any other ways of doing asynchronous read back of render target data? Thanks
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by coderchris
In OpenGL, pixel buffer objects (PBO's) have the ability to asynchronously read back render target data.

Im wondering if directx9 has this functionality as well. The directx docs don't mention this ability anywhere...

The only function that i'm aware of that can be used to get the render target data is GetRenderTargetData()

Is that function asynchronous? If not, is there any other ways of doing asynchronous read back of render target data?

Thanks
That depends on the driver really. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done async; although doing anything with the system memory surface or the render target will likely result in a stall which will cause the GPU to finish transferring the surface before moving on. Even if it is asynchronous, there's no way to query D3D to see if it's done.
IIRC, GetRenderTargetData is async, and will be inserted into the instruction stream. The later lock is what will force it to happen if it hadn't happened already.

However, I'm not sure I remember correctly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement