Sign in to follow this  
leiavoia

parametric curves w/ non-uniform intervals?

leiavoia    960
I've learning about (read: struggling with) joined parametric curves (cubic beziers in this case) and interpolation. I'd like to know if there is a way to interpolate points and make the distances between them non-uniform Here's why: Let's say the full curve i'm building is a race track (just for example). And say a car is traveling at X mph over the full length of the track. If you simply move the car along the curve in the fashion of P(t), then the car will go fast over log stretches of curve and slow over short onces since the interval between them is always 0..1. I'd like a curve with "constant speed" (not sure how to describe that mathematically).. Another reason for needing this would be something like pre-programmed camera rails where the camera flies at a constant speed through the terrain according to a programmed curve. If the curve is uniform, the camera will be herky-jerky as it winds around the curves. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! You math guys rock!

leiavoia    960
Thanks. That's probably exactly what i need. Unfortunately it's written by Eberly, so I'll take some pain pills and a drink before I read it so the mathematics won't hurt quite so much ;-)

thanks