VS 2008 SP1 now available

Started by
34 comments, last by Spoonbender 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Quote:Of course, add 1-2 weekends for reinstall of all apps.
Even without image, it takes about 2 hours to install dozen or so apps. Last I encountered a 2+ hour install was with Corel Draw under Windows 95, mostly due to swapping through its 30 floppy disks.

Ah, so you haven't installed 2k8 SP1 yet, I assume? [lol]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by joe1024
[...]Then I`d have to fork out >300 EUR for VS2008 so that I could do what I can do now with VS6.[...]
Buying VS2008 would give you a huge number of new features over VS6, like the ability to program in C++.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like VS2005 or VS2008 either (the new GUIs make them difficult for me to use), but VS6 is not an alternative.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I think we need to differentiate the usage of VS:
1. At work we use all of them (depending on the project) - from VC6, through VS2k3, VS2k5 and today we`ve received VS2k8. I couldn`t care less if it`s slow at work, since that`s what I`m being paid for. Everybody knows that and is OK with it. So, no big deal. I know what the IDE offers compared to VC6, but again, no big deal - since it`s mostly mouse-oriented, which is sth I hate - if I`m programming, mouse shouldn`t be needed at all. Yeah, it`s nice that I don`t have to add the watch each time I need to go deeper in some class, since newer VSs can do that by pointing the mouse over the variable, but by the time I grab the mouse, wait for it, and start clicking deeper, I`d already have that added into Watch Window under VC6. So, the biggest IDE advantage is actually slowing you down.

2. At home, the situation rapidly changes. I don`t want to loose the time if I don`t have to, especially for something that is easily replaced - just load the project through different icon (VC6 instead of VS2k5).
If it means I have to sacrifice purity of C++, so be it, not a big deal. I`ve grown up from the "look, teh code of mine is soooo c++++ish". Is it object-oriented ? Yes. Is it easy to maintain and refactor ? Yes. Does it work ? Sure, it does ! Was there a situation when I had to forget implementation of the game/engine feature due to VC6 being non-conformant ? Of course not ! C++ is really rich language allowing you to take either of many avaialable routes.

So, why should I take a loan to buy a new PC and new VS if it doesn`t add any meaningful value to my development ?

If there are some REAL values in newer VS, please, tell me, but so far, during last 4 yrs, each time I ask this question about comparison I get just this vague - "non-conformant,buggy C++" argument.

Antheus : 500 EUR might be less than a week`s worth of salary, but only in some countries of Europe, definitely not in mine. 500 EUR cash, on the other hand, is a lot of money to dump on something that doesn`t bring you any meaningful value. Especially, if your monthly budget is tense as it is. If I lived in US, I`d be earning somewhere between 80k-120k USD per year with my current position. Sure, then those 300 USD would be nothing. But I don`t live and earn money there.
funny, I just got the rating down about 100 points (in less than 5 minutes of writing previous post). Somebody with really high rating didn`t like I`m not in extasy about new VS.

Now, that`s what I call stupid and childlish
If it makes you feel better, go ahead, but ehmmm....
Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, 2008 express. No problems here, and I hate GUI lag with a passion
Anyone here getting virus warnings about files in the C#/VB express editions? My F-secure is screaming all the time.

More info
It's already been said, but: If you are coding in VS6, then you are not writing C++ code.

VS6 is not a C++ compiler. It's a "Microsoft C with Classes" compiler.

That is the main reason why you should use VS7/8/9 or MinGW32.
I use VS2008 on my 1.7GHz Celeron/512MB RAM laptop. Takes an eternity to compile, but the IDE itself runs fine.
goodness, that really sparked conversation...

I do still use VS6 sometimes, simply because it hasn't crashed on me in the past... large number of years. My school gives out just about every product from Microsoft (including OSes) for free. I have vs6 vs2003 and vs2005 installed. I like the layout of 2003, however if I use it too long, it ends up crashing and giving me all kinds of weird problems (vista? maybe...) anyways, all 3 IDEs gave me compatibility warnings so I kind of expected I'd have to go download my free vs2008, however vs6 has yet to make any fuss at all! I don't use .net (unless I'm taking a class that requires it), so I figured that the fact that it's stable, and loads pretty damn fast is worth keeping it around. I do use vs2003 sometimes just because it is a lot prettier than time traveling back into 1998.

Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
Ummm, are you make an attempt at ironic humor? Because that is hilarious.

uh yeah man, i suppose a little bit

obviously, there are superior IDEs, but it all comes down to the code you write... cout in vs6 is still cout in vs2008
Quote:Original post by A dam
cout in vs6 is still cout in vs2008

In general, you can't make that assumption with VC6. :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement