VS 2008 SP1 now available

Started by
34 comments, last by Spoonbender 15 years, 8 months ago
Well if anyone else has noticed it looks like Microsoft finally released VS2008 SP1. I was waiting for it mainly to be able to use the VS2008 IDE to work with SQL Server 2008 which was just recently also released. Overview This download installs Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1). SP1 addresses issues that were found through a combination of customer and partner feedback, as well as internal testing. These service packs offer Visual Studio and .NET Framework users improvements in responsiveness, stability and performance. Click here for more information regarding about these service packs. IMPORTANT * If you previously installed a Visual Studio 2008 Hotfix or Visual Studio 2008 SP1 pre-release, you must run the Service Pack Preparation tool before installing Visual Studio 2008 SP1. * If you have multiple Visual Studio products installed, you must upgrade all of them to SP1. If you have Visual Studio 2008 and one or more 2008 Express Editions, you cannot upgrade the Express Editions until you have upgraded Visual Studio. * Prior to installation, you should carefully review the included readme file to be aware of any known issues with this release. * The following technologies have been tested and verified to work with SP1: o Silverlight 2 SDK Beta 2 & Silverlight Tools Beta 2. (If Silverlight Tools Beta 2 is already installed, you must upgrade it after you install Visual Studio 2008 SP1. To upgrade, use the installer on the Silverlight Tools Beta 2 page on the Microsoft Download Center Web site.) o MVC Preview Release #3 o ASP.NET Extensions/Dynamic Data Preview o VC 2008 Feature Pack o VB PowerPack Controls (2.0 & 3.0) o Expression Studio 2 (RTM) o SQL Server 2008 o .NET Framework 3.5 SDK o XSLT Profiler o VSTA 2.0 SDK o Visual Studio 2008 SDK If you encounter issues installing SP1, uninstall technologies and/or development add-ins not listed above and retry SP1 installation. As further technologies are updated and verified to be compatible with SP1 they will be added to this list. Oh and the associated MSDN library is also available now: MSDN Library for Visual Studio 2008 SP1
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
That is, officially, the largest link I've ever seen in my entire life.
"I'd rather know one thing, no matter how ordinary, than discourse endlessly on great issues." -- Galileo
If your just working with C++ is there any reason to download this? Looks pretty uninteresting based on the readme.
Well it does include the VC9 feature pack, if you haven't gotten that already.
Quote:Original post by AndyPandyV2
If your just working with C++ is there any reason to download this? Looks pretty uninteresting based on the readme.

IMO it's worth it for the VC 2008 Feature Pack (some TR1 implementation plus some sexy new MFC controls).

I had installed the feature pack previously. Does anyone know if this SP1 now integrates help files for the feature pack into VS, or do you still need to use the online help?

For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
There's a MSDN library download for SP1, so I assume that includes the TR1 stuff.

Also, here and here for C++ specific fixes and improvements. There are a few things.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
There's a MSDN library download for SP1, so I assume that includes the TR1 stuff.

Also, here and here for C++ specific fixes and improvements. There are a few things.

Thanks for the links, it looks very tempting.

May wait a while though to see if anybody has problems with the installer :)

For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
still gonna stick with VS6
Quote:Original post by A dam

Ummm, are you make an attempt at ironic humor? Because that is hilarious.
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
Quote:Original post by A dam

Ummm, are you make an attempt at ironic humor?
Newer VS IDEs can be very slow and unresponsive on machines only a few years old. Although, in that case, you can use code::blocks and call the newer VS compilers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement