confused in selecting the right course

Started by
1 comment, last by yaustar 15 years, 8 months ago
hi, i am much confused about how to get into the gaming field, there are two degrees in this field bachelor in game design and development and bachelor in game graphic design, i don't know which degree i should go for. I have studied C++ programming language in my high school and i have some knowledge of java scripting, but i am not good at them. i have a creative mind lots of new ideas come to my mind, i like drawing so i am good at drawing new characters and machines, i also have some idea of 3ds max and maya i had worked on these software for two months you can say the introduction to them. so i am very much confused about selecting the degree, because if the programming is required in the game industry then i will have to start from the beginning, but i know i can get control over programming in next 2 years because i can do anything for getting into this industry. so i want to know what is the basic role of the game programmer in the gaming industry and tell me which degree i should go for. right now i am doing diploma in computing, in this i am studying C# programming and multimedia courses, so after completing this i can get direct admission into second year to the above both degrees. so tell me what should i go for, whatever is required i will just do it for getting into game industry. i want to start my career as soon as possible, so need your guidance.
Advertisement
From Melbourne:
>i am much confused about how to get into the gaming field, there are two degrees in this field bachelor in game design and development and bachelor in game graphic design

A big part of your problem is that your thinking is disorganized. I can tell that by the rambling way your thoughts jump all over the place in your big huge unbroken paragraph.

You need to separate your thoughts into separate smaller paragraphs. That'll help others read your words, and it'll help you organize your own thoughts.

Sounds like you are trying to decide which of your two talents, drawing and programming, you should focus on. I can't pick one for you, but for what it's worth, having some ability in those two areas can be very useful.

Level design is part art and part programming - so that's one way you could go. There's also a need for technical artists (that's someone who's primarily an artist, who also has some programming ability) and for art programmers (guys who are primarily programmers but have a good art sense).

All I can suggest is that you follow your passions and your heart. If you enjoy both programming and art, pursue both of them as far as you can. If you enjoy one more than the other, go that way but don't drop the other entirely.

>i want to start my career as soon as possible, so need your guidance.

Slow down. This is going to take time. And please - capitalize your I's. You want to be regarded professionally here, this isn't a MySpace chatroom.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Have a read through Game Career Guide 2008, it should help provide some direction.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement