Opinions Wanted: RTS Art Direction

Started by
22 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
I like that kind of style. I've got a few game ideas in my idea vault that are meant to be done in a retro sci-fi style myself. However my game ideas are deliberately meant to be a bit cheesy, goofy or cartoonish, so it's probably not quite the same feel you're going for.

I certainly wouldn't be turned off by the style though, no matter whether you went dark or humorous retro.
Personally, I kinda like the humor/retro style.

But for an RTS I'm guessing it wouldn't fly ... RTS gamers tend to take themselves a bit too seriously in my experience.
Actually, I posted this very same thread in an RTS forum, and the response towards the retro sci-fi style there was rather negative.
(Especially from people who thought it would be goofy.)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by brent_w
RTS gamers tend to take themselves a bit too seriously in my experience.

No way! Red Alert games have been some of the best RTS's (IMO) and they're really stupid.

Even C&C Generals was really successful with it's "Can I have some shoes" terrorists and the "Shoes Upgrade +10%" expansion ;)
The problem with RTS games is that their isnt enough off them to actually have a majority that take themselves too seriously.

> I had a similar idea for a black and white FPS awhile back and I think that
> this retro-sci-fi would work fine. It's a widely underused theme in today's
> games.

This is actually a really interesting idea. 3D games sort of missed out on the colourless era of entertainment and seemings FPS only really exists in 3d, then its definatly something that hasnt been done before.

Quote:Original post by brent_w
But for an RTS I'm guessing it wouldn't fly ... RTS gamers tend to take themselves a bit too seriously in my experience.
Actually, I posted this very same thread in an RTS forum, and the response towards the retro sci-fi style there was rather negative.
(Especially from people who thought it would be goofy.)

I don't know about that. A couple of my ideas are Turn Based Strategy, and I'd have thought that genre tends to be even more serious. And most of the RTSes I remember playing seemed to be a little bit cartoonish. As well as Red Alert, Warcraft and Starcraft had a slightly silly edge to them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement