XNA - The Future

Started by
15 comments, last by FoxHunter2 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Roger Gerald
Hi sneftel, i understand your cynicism . I must make it clear i am talking about xna here and not the AAA size /unreal engine type of programing. Arcade games of a certain size, thats why i delved into xna.
I'm not trying to convey cynicism. I'm trying to get you to explore the practical ramifications of your idea. It's all well and good to say "robots should write my game for me", but the important part is in the details.

Quote:you said "the compiler tells you where the error is and what it is" : this is not always the case eg if you enter the wrong number or wrote the code correctly but with the wrong criteria?
That's not a syntax error. Read the sentence after that one.

Quote:seriously, i recognise the limitations of my idea : just expected an easier ride 20 years on!
The ride is easier. It's just not trivial, for good reasons that people have shown above.
Advertisement
Roger, you might like a program called DXStudio, where you can just through your 3D models in, and use a simple scripting language to define the behavior of your program.
What you're looking for is GameMaker or Torque Game Studio, which I believe incidentally allows you to customize your games with C#.
XNA Game Studio is an IDE and the XNA Framework is just that, a framework. It's not meant to be a complete "click a couple of buttons and you're done" type thing. If you don't want to do programming, suggestions have been made. You're not going to get something totally original from that though. That requires programming. TANSTAAFL (or not quite, at least [grin]).

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Quote:Original post by Machaira
XNA Game Studio is an IDE and the XNA Framework is just that, a framework. It's not meant to be a complete "click a couple of buttons and you're done" type thing. If you don't want to do programming, suggestions have been made. You're not going to get something totally original from that though. That requires programming. TANSTAAFL (or not quite, at least [grin]).

Yeah it sound like you are looking for something that can be picked up in a day is no-hassle and lets you make simple games. As has been mentioned gamemaker comes to mind. The closest thing I've seen from Microsoft is not XNA but--
Welcome to the Popfly™ Game Creator!
The Popfly™ Game Creator allows you to quickly and easily create casual games that will run in your web browser, on Facebook, embedded in your blog or even as a Windows Vista sidebar gadget as well as many other options.

Unlike XNA you can actually make a fully functional space shooter without writing a single line of code pretty fast. Now that I think about it XNA actually provides it's own templates you can download that provide a fully functional game so in theory you don't have to write a single line of code for XNA either-LOL!
RPG starter kit for example.
They also provide templates for the majority of the popular game genres like side-scroller,space shooter,car racing,etc.
I"d say it's a far cry from when you couldn't even start making any games until you shelled out for a C compiler since they weren't any free ones 20 years ago and they were all text based!
So, as you can see the tools are actually there now you just have to decide what works for you.
For example, if you used C and ASM to make your games 20 years ago using Visual Studio with the DX SDK it like light years easier. Then if you decided to start using XNA/C# you'll see that it's alot easier. If you've only used gamemaker, popfly game creator or something like flash moving to XNA/C# will seem like alot more work!
Then again you will have more control in the creation and types of games you can create!
As they say with more power comes more responsibility or something like that...

[Edited by - daviangel on August 15, 2008 1:49:23 AM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful replies.

I realise the "shortcomings" of my ideas.. to me, it was an experiment to see how times have changed in programming in the last 20 years. Obviously, things HAVE changed a lot but to the amateur, it still looks the same : i guess that was the point.
A lot of people have pointed me in the direction of more suitable areas but I wanted to try out XNA for the simple reason that its modern and its free (my version anyway). And when you haven't programmed for 20 years then I guess you have all these crazy ideas about how much easier everything will be.

Quote:Original post by Roger Gerald
Just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful replies.

I realise the "shortcomings" of my ideas.. to me, it was an experiment to see how times have changed in programming in the last 20 years. Obviously, things HAVE changed a lot but to the amateur, it still looks the same : i guess that was the point.
A lot of people have pointed me in the direction of more suitable areas but I wanted to try out XNA for the simple reason that its modern and its free (my version anyway). And when you haven't programmed for 20 years then I guess you have all these crazy ideas about how much easier everything will be.

Yeah, I see your points.

The problem is just that 3D (realtime) rendering is a rather complicated field which requires a lot of maths and understanding of how a GPU/pipeline works. This kind of knowledge can hardly be hidden from the programmer (unless you use a complete engine like Ogre and others).

The XNA framework is just a nice and clean managed wrapper around DirectX (and a bit more, like the content pipeline). No more pointer hassle, a garbage collector which takes care of your memory (you still gotta be careful, though) and a well designed, object oriented API.
XNA does neither provide the tools to create games without much basic 3D math understandings (this is the job of some engines or "game creators"), nor does it free you from doing much of the low-level stuff like caring about your render states, render targets etc.

But compared to the DX7&C++ times, XNA is a huge step forwards in terms of ease of development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement