Sign in to follow this  
wt

Real School

Has anyone heard of Baker College? Just trying to find out if its a real school or not. From the looks of this I believe they are but im not 100% sure. https://www.baker.edu/departments/admissions/acreditation.cfm I really feel like I need to go back to school and was thinking about taking one of the programs listed here: https://carina.baker.edu/PGMSOLU?DEPT=ONL an AA in Computer Programming w/ Java or BS Computer Science or BS Game Software Development Anyone have any thoughts or input. I want to make sure I go to a real school but because I work full time and have a family I can't really go to a brick and mortar school. I guess it's either this or something like Devry but Devry really makes me feel uneasy. I don't want to go to school for 3+ years just to find out my degree don't mean squat. Thanks in advance.

By "real school" I will assume you mean to ask if it is a credible school:

One good indication of whether your degree is "useless" or not is the program's accreditation. It is a decent indicator of whether the accreditor thinks the program is credible (or "useful"). Here is Baker's list of accredited programs. I don't see the programs you mentioned in the list there.

Going to school online seems to be a far less desirable choice than physically attending classes, but I realize you say you aren't in a situation to do that, so think of it this way: getting an online degree can't possibly hurt your resume, so if it is all you can do, then it is all you can do. I'm sure that some people here have experience with online programs, so maybe they could post here with some advice or anecdotes.

Not all degrees really have a body that provides an authentic "accreditation". The school has a ".edu" domain, which means that it is accredited by the US government. That being said, a degree is pretty well always better than no degree.

I'd recommend you try and get in touch with some of the alumni at the school to find out about their experiences. You can also inquire about their placement rates.

Quote:
Original post by wt
thinking about taking...
an AA in Computer Programming w/ Java
or BS Computer Science or BS Game Software Development

If you get the AA, you'll need to transfer to another school and get a full bachelors degree. Looks bad on the resume if you shortcut your education.

Quote:
Original post by Tom Sloper
If you get the AA, you'll need to transfer to another school and get a full bachelors degree. Looks bad on the resume if you shortcut your education.

I can always get the BS after the AA at the same school if I choose to I suppose.

I emailed the Higher Learning Commission and received this response:

Baker College is accredited by The HIgher Learning Commission of the
North Central Association. This is institutional accreditation which
accredits the institution as a whole. While all of the programs are
included in this accreditation, institutional accreditors do not
accredit programs on a specific and individual basis.

Specific programs may have accreditation through specialized
agencies. I believe that the specialized agency for computer science
programs is the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
(www.abet.org).

I went to the abet site and tried to find some other colleges in California that I know offer Computer Science Degrees. I only saw like Cal State and Chico. So im not sure how I should take the results from that site.