Sign in to follow this  

Im soooOOOOO Close, help finish this!

This topic is 3414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am getting too close up against my walls in my FPS. This causes the player to slide through corners that are smaller than 90degrees. If i remove this check: if (Vector3.Dot(p.NormalVector(), move_v) < 0) then it works but it gives a not nice effect by pushing the player out against a wall when eaven not looking at it. objCamera.mPos = players position move_v = direction and speed vector. in the end, the Camera moves by the move_v vector. //Radius = 1.5f; //This is the walls, two X,Y,Z vectors that defines a line. (its not really 3D) foreach (types.cPlane p in planes) { if (Vector3.Length(p.ClosestPointOnPlane(objCamera.mPos) - objCamera.mPos) < Radius) { //Now, this is the funny part, if i remove the codeline under and not check the //players view against the wall everything works but gives a rather "fast" slide-speed in corners, too fast and then its not smooth again, but if i add this i can walk through narrow concave corners ,not edges. (they work fine) ---> if (Vector3.Dot(p.NormalVector(), move_v) < 0) { vMove.Add(p.NormalVector() * (Radius - Vector3.Length(p.ClosestPointOnPlane(objCamera.mPos) - objCamera.mPos))); //Feels like i am missing something here, why is the player still moving slightly closer against the wall when holding in the Forward Key? } //Here i add all the Wall-Normal-vector so the player is "pushed" out from the wall. foreach (Vector3 v in vMove) { move_v += v; } //This is my speed and direction vectors vforward = (objCamera.mView - objCamera.mPos) * forward; vbackward = -(objCamera.mView - objCamera.mPos) * backward; vleft = classes.utility.GetNormalVector(objCamera.mView - objCamera.mPos) * left * 3; vright = -classes.utility.GetNormalVector(objCamera.mView - objCamera.mPos) * right * 3; //make a completely new move vector by adding all directions. move_v = (vforward * forward) + (vbackward * backward) + (vleft * left) + (vright * right); //When hitting the W the forward floatnr starts to increase and the move-vector getts longer (more speed) and so on. //PS if anyone want to check the code, i will gladly send it. C# Managed Direct3D. [Edited by - Meshboy on August 12, 2008 12:49:05 PM]

Solved it!
Now everything works with all kinds of edges and corners!

private void CollideWithWorld() {
float Radius = 1.0f;
//Collision detection start.
vPushVectors.Clear();
objText.Draw2DText("length move_v" + Convert.ToString(move_v.Length()), 0, 100, Color.Red);
//add all the normal vectors of the planes that are too close to player.
foreach (types.cPlane p in planes) {
//Check the lenght from player to planes.
float length = Vector3.Length(p.ClosestPointOnPlane(objCamera.mPos) - objCamera.mPos);
if (length < Radius) {
//Add to pushout vector collection.
vPushVectors.Add(p.NormalVector() * (Radius - length));
}
}
//Oookay, check the convex or concave angles.
//If player hit 2 wall then we are in a corner or edge.
if (vPushVectors.Count == 2) {
objText.Draw2DText("DOT" + Convert.ToString(Vector3.Dot(vPushVectors[0], move_v)), 300, 700, Color.Red);
objText.Draw2DText("SPECIAL" + Convert.ToString(Vector3.Dot(vPushVectors[0], vPushVectors[1])), 300, 740, Color.Red);
//If Vector3.Dot(vMove[0], vMove[1])>= 0 then we are in a corner that is 90 degrees or MORE,
//so here we can take only the wall player is facing.
if (Vector3.Dot(vPushVectors[0], vPushVectors[1]) >= 0) {
//Wall nr 1
//If player is facing wall, then add correction vector.
if (Vector3.Dot(Vector3.Normalize(vPushVectors[0]), move_v) < 0) {
move_v += vPushVectors[0];
}
//Wall nr 2
//If player is facing wall, then add correction vector.
if (Vector3.Dot(Vector3.Normalize(vPushVectors[1]), move_v) < 0) {
move_v += vPushVectors[1];
}
}
// If we ARE in a sharp Corner (less than 90 degrees, skip player facing check and just push him out from
// normals from both walls.
else {
move_v += vPushVectors[1];
}
}
// If player only sliding on one wall, check that one for facing-against wall and push him out,
// normal standard.
if (vPushVectors.Count == 1) {
if (Vector3.Dot(Vector3.Normalize(vPushVectors[0]), move_v) < 0) {
}
}
}

This topic is 3414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.