Sign in to follow this  
mirage91

Extracting game coordinates

mirage91    122
Hey, im not looking for anything too specific here, i am just wondering if anyone can tell me the theory of how i could extract, mine, and my team-mates current position in a map, from a FPS such as Call of Duty 4. Im not looking for anything language specific, just the general theory of how i would go about doing this. Im looking to create a real time map which would show mine, and my team-mates position. Thanks for any help, and im sorry if this is in the wrong section :p Mirage.

mirage91    122
lol, i was afraid of that. But the data of the position of your team mates is already available to you in this particular game. By pressing escape, it brings up a small map showing you and your team mates, surely there is some way of extracting this info, im not looking for a way to find enemy positions, because if that was the case, there would be no point in playing lol.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully there will be some people who could see the good in this idea, and not think im trying to cheat :P (becuase im not)

Wyrframe    2426
If the game doesn't expose a mod-making API for doing this, then you'll be doing memory scanning or packet sniffing. The former is severely non-optimal and must be done by polling, the latter is at least done by notification, and both involve reverse-engineering.

If any of that sounds complex or dangerous, then while you can learn how to do it, you're not yet ready to try it.

If you want to learn... try taking someone's C++ Tetris game, and with full knowledge of and the ability to alter the source, make a program that will periodically scan the Tetris game's memory, and extract the Tetris game's current score and the shape of block that is currently falling.

AticAtac    335
There are programs like "Cheat Engine" which help you to find certain values in games. The basic idea is to search the memory for a known value (like health = 100) and then change the value and search for it again at the previous found location. Repeat this until there is only one memory location left.
This works for many games, but it doesn't work always. You will face problems like dynamic allocated memory variable etc.
Once you have found some proper memeory locations, it won't be very hard to write a c++ program (or any other prog. language) which fetches this value from the memory. There are also here many different approaches, just look for these tags on web:

- OpenProcess
- VirtualQueryEx
- ReadProcessMemory

mirage91    122
Thats great, thanks a lot :) im not looking to change any values or alter the game play in any way, im just planning on making a real-time map of the game, showing mine and my team-mates positions.

Thanks for your help.

AticAtac    335
Changing the value helps you to find the proper memory location, once you found it you don't need to change it ! Just read it and show it on your own mini map, this is how i did it for WoW.