I can't be the only one...

Started by
11 comments, last by battle_bright 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by battle_bright
I haven't done very much debugging.
I can't begin to stress enough how essential debugging skills are. Writing code is probably one of the least difficult parts in the long run - being able to test, debug and reason about your software and its behaviour is often vastly more challenging and will often be a good indicator of a mediocre versus exceptional developer.

Read this and make sure you're familiar with every bit of it. Once you've got the basics you'll have more than enough opportunities to practice [wink]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
*** Source Snippet Removed *** It's also perfectly safe to assume that m_pEffect is valid if D3DXCreateEffect succeeds, so you should check for failure of the function, not it setting a parameter to null.

AFAIK, D3DXCreateEffect creates and sets the ID3DXBuffer* argument (it IS marked as out in the docs), no need to create the buffer yourself. Just Release() it afterwards.
Million-to-one chances occur nine times out of ten!
Wow! Thanks for all the information. There don't seem to be very many resources available about debugging. Especially when it comes to using the debugging tools that come with an SDK or in Visual C++. I didn't notice the stickies at the top of the forum about how to solve a problem yourself. I probably should have read through that earlier. There's also a cool FAQ with a link to setting up the DirectX SDK for better debugging that I didn't notice till later either.

Thanks a lot you guys, I think I'm gonna spend some time on the Intro to Debugging article.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement