Wine D3D - Gallium3d

Started by
0 comments, last by Demirug 15 years, 8 months ago
Well it seems with the recent slip-up of OGL (the OGL 3 fiasco), that D3D is the API to use. I have held the opinion in the last year or so that D3D is a superior API, but I like cross-platform development (and I use Linux as my desktop OS and quite like it). I have done some experimenting with D3D under wine, and found it passable (but needing work). Otherwise, IMHO, it seems fit to fill the gap for those like me who require cross platform work but would prefer to use a modern API. So here is my question. I have heard (on Wikipedia) that Gallium3d could theoretically be used to replace the current D3D->OGL wrapper in wine, thus putting D3D directly through to the hardware. However, I have not seen any project that aims to do this. I am not sure if this is the correct forum (though it seems better than the OGL forum). However, could anyone at least give some thoughts to the feasibility of such a project?
Advertisement
From a technical point of view Gallium3D would be able to support an API that could be very similar to Direct3D. There are some points in Direct3D that doesn’t make much sense when you go to another platform. The whole window handling is an example here. But to start such a project we first need general Gallium3D support in the kernels. So far I don’t see any driver written for this infrastructure. Maybe there is something done by the creators of Gallium3D as closed source work for one of the 3D hardware companies.

There may be some legal problems but I am not a lawyer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement