Sign in to follow this  
Antonym

Textures and Modeling

Antonym    179
I've heard good things about blender although I've heard good things about 3ds max studio too. Does blender have any considerable advantage over 3dsmax?

About gimp, isnt it more for editing pictures rather than creating them from scratch?

Shadownami92    144
Quote:
Original post by Antonym
I've heard good things about blender although I've heard good things about 3ds max studio too. Does blender have any considerable advantage over 3dsmax?

About gimp, isnt it more for editing pictures rather than creating them from scratch?

yes, it's $1,000 or so dollars cheaper since it's free

as for gimp if it's a cheaper version of photoshop I'd figure it would have some sort of brush tools, custom brushes can pretty much do anything you want when it comes to making textures. also being able to layer texture samples helps a bit.

gimp and blender are good, especially for starting out to see if you want to really get into it but compared to photoshop and 3d studio max (and other non-free sofware) it doesn't exactly compare in quality of the way the software is made and it's a lot easier to get the same output you would get from blender done in 3ds (or other non-free software) but can do it a bit faster.

XTAL256    106
The only thing GIMP can't do is vector graphics, but it has a plug-in for that. You can't draw rectangles, circles, etc as easy as something like MS Paint but it can be done. It's mainly for working with pixels but that's what you'd want if you are making textures.
As for a 3D program, i suggest ZModeler. It may not support the format you want but if it does it's a lot easier to use than Blender. I only used Blender a few times but i found it very complicated (although that's a good thing if you want a lot of control).

BCullis    1955
Blender has become rather feature-rich over it's development, and new versions keep rolling out, I'm a huge Blender fan. (Now if the would just solve that pesky lack of n-gons...)

I've used both 3DSMax as well as Blender extensively, and the only major difference you're likely to see is learning a different interface (Blender is rather heavy on hotkeys, which I feel speeds up workflow anyway). The same "good modeling practices" apply to any package though, so go with Blender as you won't have to drop money to learn it :)

One important thing should be said about Blender: Your first impression, in particular if you haven't read through the tuturials, will be "Woah, this crap sucks". Do not let yourself be discouraged by this first impression.

Blender has a high entry barrier as its interface is somewhat unusual, you absolutely have to read the documentation/tutorials or you will be very unhappy with it.
The wikibook "Blender from Noob to Pro" is a recommended read, as are the various video tutorials linked from the Blender site or from Blendernation.

Once you have learned how everything is intended and how you use Blender properly (plan at least 4-6 weeks for that), the "this sucks" impression will gradually turn into "darn, this is the coolest program ever".