Sign in to follow this  
Mizipzor

Developing DirectX games under linux

Mizipzor    247
Has anyone tried? How overly complicated is it? Is there a way to install the directx sdk? Or do you think I have better luck with some kind of precompiled libs/engines that uses directx? Like HGE. Can unix compilers be setup to compile win32 code? Which I then run using Wine, or move to a windows installation.

jollyjeffers    1570
I'm not too familiar with the Linux world, but I understand there is some sort of basic port as part of Wine (I think - maybe another app though) but thats about it.

You need to remember that you're not talking about a bunch of code libraries that can just be recompiled, you're talking about a pretty integral end-to-end component of the Windows OS. It goes from low-level KM drivers through UM drivers and eventually pops out at the application end as an API. Getting something that big to work on any other platform would be pretty challenging [smile]

Given the current disgruntled state of the OpenGL crowd there may well be some movement here, but I wouldn't hold your breath if only for the complexity reasons I previously stated.

hth
Jack

jollyjeffers    1570
A brief bit of digging around suggests Wine has a 95% complete D3D8/D3D9 port, but from what I can gather it just sits on top of OpenGL. With those two API's getting further and further apart I can't see Wine getting much beyond a WinXP-generation port for 3D technology... Still, better than nothing!

hth
Jack

Someone13    139
Yes, you can do it. You gonna have to use an older version of DirectX (I use DirectX from August 2006), and you're gonna have to compile with MinGW (I cheated and used a version of CodeBlocks that came with MinGW already).

There's an example of how to do this on the OGRE 3D engine over at:
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Cross_Compiling_in_Linux

EDIT:
Sorry, I didn't answer all of your questions.

Is it easy? Follow the instructions above and it is.

Can the GCC compiler in Linux be setup to compile Win32 code? You can do it, but I wouldn't recommend doing that. It's a pain-in-the-ass.

Just use wine to run CodeBlocks and MinGW, and you'll do fine. I also hear that the Visual C++ 2008 Command Line Compiler works just fine.
Linky: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9569

Unfortunately, Visual Studio Express does not. Sadness.

[Edited by - Someone13 on August 13, 2008 6:12:31 AM]

Mizipzor    247
Thank you for the quick responses.

Yes I had something like that in mind, using wine and a win compiler to just see if the application can start. I dont expect it to run well.

I just want to be able to make small changes to the code in a win32 project and make sure it compiles and start.

I will check your links when I get home. :)