embedded exe in OpenGL window

Started by
6 comments, last by riruilo 15 years, 8 months ago
is it possible? I know Windows Aero is pretty much this in DX, but due to the environment im trying to avoid DX.

------------------------------

redwoodpixel.com

Advertisement
You mean you want to build a window manager?
That's possible but not trivial.
If you're looking for something that has more or less the same features as Aero in OpenGL, there's Compiz (http://compiz.org/Home/Screenshots). But I don't think that you'll want to make a window manager from scratch.
This is beyond confusing. Are you trying to say you want to render a windows-looking-window in your opengl context? Or do you want to run a different executable from your opengl program?

You need to elaborate a bit here...

FlyingIsFun1217
I wanna run an Air Application.... on a 3d plane....in OpenGL

------------------------------

redwoodpixel.com

Quote:Original post by AverageJoeSSU
I wanna run an Air Application.... on a 3d plane....in OpenGL
You could grab the output for the target application, shove that on a texture, and render that. Although that'll be extremely platform specific, won't work on pre-Vista OS's (Since the output doesn't exist for windows that aren't visible), and will likely be incredibly slow.

Why do you want to do this? There's likely another way around it.
Well, you'll have to live with the fact that Windows is closed-source [smile]. I think you'll have to recreate all the drawing functions from scratch, using OpenGL. Compile it as a DLL, and inject it to the application.

edit:
I thought _you_ wanted to render the window(s) (buttons and stuff) using OpenGL. If you only want the rendered output, maybe you can do it like it's in the previous post.
Quote:Original post by beun
Well, you'll have to live with the fact that Windows is closed-source [smile]. I think you'll have to recreate all the drawing functions from scratch, using OpenGL. Compile it as a DLL, and inject it to the application.
That's another way, yes. You could hook all of the GDI calls in the target application, and grab the data as it's rendered. Although that's effectively writing all of GDI from scratch, and is likely to break on future Windows versions.
I have no idea how to do that, but I think is very interesting, for instance you could make a multi-game or a 3d game launcher, something like a virtual room where you can exectute games or whatever, but I am afraid this is almost impossible on windows or very difficult, however you already have this on linux, it is call compiz and you can execute Quake 3 or watch a movie in a windows while you rotate it around a cube...

http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=compiz20060212fr5.png

but even if you get it, probably you will have performance problems.

Regards,
Ricardo.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement