Sign in to follow this  
ed209

Detecting Turbo Controllers

ed209    122
Hi, I don't want people using turbo controller when playing my game, so I need a way of detecting them. One thing I thought of is that turbo controllers register in a pattern while human tapping is inconsistant. I was wondering if there is a better way of detecting turbo controllers. Thanks.

Evil Steve    2017
That depends on what exactly you mean by a "turbo controller". Assuming it's a controller with a feature that allows it to send multiple button presses (As on, off, on, off, on, off signals) when a button is just being held, the only way to detect that would be by doing pattern recognition on the input as you suggested. The autofire is likely implemented in hardware, so there's no other way to detect it.

Mushu    1396
It's trivial to attach to the process image at runtime, figure out which branch to cut and disable that whole branch such that your "anti-turbo" code never gets executed. And it's equally trivial to kill any mechanisms to prevent attaching to the process (or detection thereof), so don't even bother with that.

What you should be asking, rather, is how you can redesign your game such that cheating (if you call turbo buttons cheating) does not give a significant advantage. The "oh god people will cheat in our game" is often a sign of very poor design with respect to the gameplay mechanics.

chronos    100
You're wasting your time. Besides, why would you want to do that to your customers? Designing your game so it doesn't work with your customer's hardware is a great way to drive them away.

moosedude    145
This depends alot on the "thing" you're trying to prevent the players from doing.

If it were the fire rate for example, and you wished to prevent them from firing a million more bullets than required; it should be simple to engineer the code to prevent a certain number of bullets fired off in a given time (or another way, simple to prevent a certain number of bullets "existing" at the same time).

It's possible to program around this, rather than alienating turbo controls completely.