Sign in to follow this  
BlackWind

Working with NVIDIA tools?

Im not sure if this is the right place to post it, but.... what do you think of working with the nvidia tools? and by the nvidia tools, i mean using the NV Scene Graph SDK, with all the other tools (cg toolkit, sdk, perfkit, fxcomposer, and the physx or apex). what experiences do you have with them? which other product/tools would you compare with?? would it be a better option than using for example OGRE + other libraries? why? cheers!

PerfHUD is great stuff. Very very useful if you're concerned with GPU performance.

I used PhysX in my old C++ engine (before Nvidia bought Ageia) and it was good stuff. Nice documentation, useful utilities (like the remote debugger), decent performance. I've heard that Havok is much better optimized for CPU's, but unfortunately I've never had a chance to directly compare them. PhysX's CPU implementation was certainly at least passable.

And what dou you think (or somebody that has try it) about the nvidia scene graph sdk (nvsg)??
there is a new version and seems to be very nice.

and what about using the CG language?
with all the other tools would it be better to use it above HLSL if im using DX for example?

I played with the NVIDIA scene graph a million years ago and concluded that it was very nice for making NVIDIA graphics demos but not really useful for making games. Dynamic node reconnections and such were problematic. It was intended for static or mostly-static scenes. It's entirely possible that it's changed by now, but since NVIDIA's still using it for the same stuff they've always used it for, I don't have high hopes.

Quote:
Original post by BlackWind
and what about using the CG language?
with all the other tools would it be better to use it above HLSL if im using DX for example?

I'm not a Cg expert, but from my understanding you'd have to nothing to gain in using it over HLSL. AFAIK, it's main benefit is that it can be used with both DX and OpenGL. If you're only using DX, surely you're much better off using the native HLSL/Effects framework.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
I played with the NVIDIA scene graph a million years ago and concluded that it was very nice for making NVIDIA graphics demos but not really useful for making games. Dynamic node reconnections and such were problematic. It was intended for static or mostly-static scenes. It's entirely possible that it's changed by now, but since NVIDIA's still using it for the same stuff they've always used it for, I don't have high hopes.

how long ago did you try it?
in case they improved the dynamic calls, would it be a nice option?
is a scene graph based engine bad for game programming? i dont want/need to do next gen games, but i do want/need something like devil may cry/god of war/prince of persia style game (those games are for ps2)

here is the complete list of improvements since the first version:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tools/NVSG/4.0.6.0.7/win/readme.txt

and the details of the newest version:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvsg_details.html

Quote:
Original post by MJP
I'm not a Cg expert, but from my understanding you'd have to nothing to gain in using it over HLSL. AFAIK, it's main benefit is that it can be used with both DX and OpenGL. If you're only using DX, surely you're much better off using the native HLSL/Effects framework.

1.- but the performace is actually better if i use HLSL ratter than CG?
2.-the big advantage i see from CG is that the nvdida tools (like the fxcomposer) seems to be focus on the CG (altough they also have a great support for HLSL), and plus they have a complete great book realesed for free in their web page.

Quote:
Original post by BlackWind
how long ago did you try it?

June/July 2005.
Quote:
in case they improved the dynamic calls, would it be a nice option?
Perhaps. I remember being unhappy with it in other ways (chiefly poor documentation and lack of debugging symbols), but I don't remember all the details and I wouldn't want to pretend more familiarity than I actually have.
Quote:
is a scene graph based engine bad for game programming?

Therein lies a great deal of debate. My personal feeling is that a scene graph-based graphics system is adequate for relatively complicated games.

Quote:
Original post by Triton
You can compile Cg code into HLSL or GLSL. :)

So i can code in CG and can convert it to HLSL or GLSL? how?
or what did you mean by that?

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
I remember being unhappy with it in other ways (chiefly poor documentation and lack of debugging symbols), but I don't remember all the details and I wouldn't want to pretend more familiarity than I actually have.
Quote:
is a scene graph based engine bad for game programming?

Therein lies a great deal of debate. My personal feeling is that a scene graph-based graphics system is adequate for relatively complicated games.

I have been looking into the nvsg, and indeed, the documentation is HORRIBLE. Even the examples sucks. Also the support in their forums is very poor. That makes me doubt if its worth to learn it...