A friend told me C# and XNA but ...

Started by
47 comments, last by Galima 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Galima
But what are you guys saying about C# + XNA + Px Multiplayer would that work ?

Forget about technology for a while. You have to learn programming first. Either of those languages wil be just fine for that.
Advertisement
Thanks alot guys.

Here today at 19:00 danish time my group are going to meet "on msn/teamspeak" and then we will talk it through and see which language is best for our purpose but for my own i think we shoul look at C#.

To you DevFred as i said earlier i look at the stuff at the long run, example some years ago i would like to make a browser game but i had no clue what to learn and such, now i can make a browsergame when i want to.

:)

Regards Galima
I was thinking, when we made a game, can we then just press a button and that creates a .exe and some other files and such, and those do we just let people download as our game

or does people need to have other things.

We would like to keep it simple, like when you install a demo of a game you download alot of files and a .exe

Regards. Galima
I was thinking, when we made a game, can we then just press a button and that creates a .exe and some other files and such, and those do we just let people download as our game

We would like to keep it simple, like when you install a demo of a game you download alot of files and a .exe

Regards. Galima

Starting in the upcoming XNA Game Studio 3.0 (due out "holiday 2008"), there will be full support for ClickOnce publishing. So you'll just hit "Publish" and it'll give you a nice installer for your game. Users can download and run that and it will handle all dependencies for you. Should make distributing your Windows games much, much easier.
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn

Regards. Galima

Starting in the upcoming XNA Game Studio 3.0 (due out "holiday 2008"), there will be full support for ClickOnce publishing. So you'll just hit "Publish" and it'll give you a nice installer for your game. Users can download and run that and it will handle all dependencies for you. Should make distributing your Windows games much, much easier.

I didn't realize that. Cool!

(I guess there's something to be said about keeping up on the XNA news...)

There's quite a few other things coming in 3.0. I did a write up of my notes from Gamefest on it here: Notes From Gamefest.
Thanks alot, I'm still talking with my m8's "gaming group" and it seems we are slightly keep getting more and more interrested in C# and XNA

A few more questions, this is absolutely rediciless question in our skill state right now, but i wan't to know it.

When we get good enough and produce a high quality game, can we then sell it as a game, or is there some kind of license stuff like you may not use XNA for commercial games, i do know that selling games for Xbox where XNA have been used it not legal, though i wan't to know what about the computer games ?.

Regards Galima
Quote:Original post by Moe
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn

Regards. Galima

I didn't realize that. Cool!

(I guess there's something to be said about keeping up on the XNA news...)

XNA is always getting new things. In the last year Microsoft and the XNA team have been amazing at pushing new things out including new starter kits, examples, and releases (2.0 was fairly recent, 3.0 CTP is now out, 3.0 will be later this year hopefully).

Currently with XNA though, you'll need them to download and install a few things before they will be able to play it (for a windows game), but if you used something with Java that was a graphics API I would guess most people would still have to install something.

I would suggest C# and XNA only because as a new developer you'll get into programming 'games' quicker than if you used Java (in my opinion). Like the others before me said, 'One isn't better than the other', one just might suit your needs better than the other for your projects.

Don't start with trying to do a million things at once (multiplayer, 3D, etc...), learn how to code generally first.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Thanks again, yes ofcourse i/we will start slow, first learning the language, when we are good enough we can think about making ping pong and instead of just throwing the game away after it has been made as white ball and black background then you can progress on it, make better graphic, highscore, and even more small stuff and then tetris and so on.

Please don't belive I'm such a person which just say "H3y 1m g01ng t0 m4k3 3D g4m3" becaue I'm not, as i said earlier "i look at it on the long run before getting into it"

Example, before i learned xhtml css php mysql i studied the possibilites with these languages, my long run project was making a browser text based game, then i knew what to learn, and now i can make it if i want to, and funny enough i work as a webdesigner now :)

Thats why i ask alot of long run questions.

Regards Galima
Thanks again, yes ofcourse i/we will start slow, first learning the language, when we are good enough we can think about making ping pong and instead of just throwing the game away after it has been made as white ball and black background then you can progress on it, make better graphic, highscore, and even more small stuff and then tetris and so on.

I just finished my Pong XNA game, took me 6-8 months (although I had some massive design elements to deal with). Mine is quite advanced though. I would suggest doing little tech demos that teach you little techniques, later you can put those techniques together and have a good shell for a game.

Quote:
Please don't belive I'm such a person which just say "H3y 1m g01ng t0 m4k3 3D g4m3" becaue I'm not, as i said earlier "i look at it on the long run before getting into it"

Good! :)

Quote:
Thats why i ask alot of long run questions.

No problem, we're here to help you. Ask away.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement