Sign in to follow this  
rosshildick

Ok go nuts in your answer... (my first post)

I aspire to be a 3d designer. I love realism mainly but also enjoy low poly models and animation; I'm not that good... I'm not that bad. I could easily make a character and world. What I need to know is (give me software names, courses to attend, books to read, videos to watch, tutorials to view...) ANYTHING that would get me from start to finish - Setting up a world and importing a character ... or something (a ball, maybe?) to move around using "w.a.s.d" on the keyboard... So to sum up - How to I make a rpg style game from start to finish? Ive got the modeling down - what next? I havn;'t found a forum that sums this up for me yet... BNe as blunt or as detailed as you like - Cheers in advance :)

Thanks this looks pretty damn exact to what Io was asking!

Oh and btw, I wouldn't mind hearing how people first got into the game developing side of things? (I fear responses like "Well I started programming when I was 12" - im only 19, surely thats not too late to start from almost scratch?)

Thanks Again!

I'm 24 and just taking my first real attempt at it. I have a lot to learn but I don't see how it could ever be too late to start something.

Why not look at using your modeling skills in a Halflife (or any 3D FPS game that has an SDK) model? That would let you test out the animation, textures (if you're doing that bit) and the models them selves.

If you're wanting to know how to make an RPG there are steps even before the modeling. Come up with an design document that kind of lays out the plan for your game. Then you'd need to program the game itself, create the art and models (not in that order, or any order for that matter). If you can find others that would help you in your game you could focus on the modeling side of things. I guess I'm not really sure on your plan here, sorry I can't be of more help. I'm new here myself and thinking this is my first post as well (been lurking).

On place posted here before that I found very useful (and still do) is http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php. Its for 2D programming using SDL but it gives you some WASD movement (well can be WASD) in a 2D world and gives you an idea of what is involved in creating a game. Granted this is only one part of creating a game but it can give you an idea.

You're going to hate me, buuuuut... I started programming when I was 11, but failed miserably. I came back at age 12, got into it, and 2 years later, I'm working on some simple games I'm releasing on my site. I wouldn't say there's really any limit on how old you can be to be able to work well. If you can set your mind to it, you can do it. If anything, being older will help, since you have more experience with problem solving... and anger management ;) (Maybe it's just me, but I get PO'd after sitting on a problem for more than a week, working hard, with no results)

I'm just about 25 (one month out) and on my second semester of a new Comp Sci degree. You're fine at 19, it's more about how well you learn and how driven you are than what age you start at.

I'm 20 and have been programming for a few years now, nothing really serious but, a few unfinished projects that I took as far as my attention span would allow. I'm currently working on getting as feature-rich of a client server setup as I can up and running to remake some games (checkers, tic tac toe, rock paper scissors) to run over a network. (no one tell Matthew Broderick!)

Really, learning to program is not much different from learning anything else, it'll take time, patience, and practice but eventually you will get there and along the way you'll have a ton of way satisfying moments where you go, "Oh I get it now!" that are excellent rewards for time and headaches spent.

I started toying with computers when i was six on my moms dos machine.
The monitor was greyscale and there was no mouse, just text on a black screen.
She showed me how to use the basic dos commands to get around the system and find some of the games i liked to play, and get them running.
These were text based rpg games with no graphics, (and it still was fun).
Ahh.. the good old days...
Now im 32 years old and still cant walk away from this thing.
I guess its a sign of accomplishment to make your computer do stuff.
The learning curve of programming for me has never stopped, there is always something new to learn, and nobody can learn it all.
An old man once told me that experience is cheap when it is second hand.
What he meant is to learn from other peoples accomplishments and mistakes,
then use your own judgement in the situation at hand.
These days im into graphics programming and OS design.
I would say that building a game engine does not take nearly as much time as preparing all the stuff for the game, like models, textures, etc...
Ok, enough blabbering for now.
So welcome to forum and may you type a plethora of code for the world to use...

Quote:
Original post by rosshildick
im only 19, surely thats not too late to start from almost scratch?

Definately not, I started when I was 20!