Src of models

Started by
0 comments, last by programmermattc 15 years, 8 months ago
I am continuing work on my DX9 shader based engine (me and everyone else), and would like an opinion on acquiring models with complex materials. Such as a model with accompanying diffuse maps, normal maps, emmissive/glow maps, gloss maps, environment maps, etc. This of course would not be for commercial purposes, just to show off some of the capabilities of my engine. Would doom3/quake4 models be a good source? Does Crysis have a model/material format, that someone has cracked?
Advertisement
They may help you as a tech demo but I wouldn't suggest using them. For one, most large companies like id/Valve/Crytek probably have their own custom formats for the models which could be brought into their respective engines and have wierd data that wouldn't work in your engine. Check the samples in the DirectX SDK you've downloaded, I'm positive there should be some examples in there that use bump maps so you could at least test those portions of it.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement