Flywheel attitude control...

Started by
1 comment, last by Speeder 15 years, 8 months ago
I've made a spaceship to my game that uses a flywheel as attitude control (it is just a single flywheel, in the same rotation axis as the ship, so the player can aim around) The problem is: The game is a bit realistic, and I want to make the flywheel and ship combination turn using law of the physics (including inertia), but I've got the following problem: How much force or impulse I apply to a flywheel and to the ship, with the data that I know being how much power I can draw from the ship powerplant? Being more direct to those that do not understood: How I convert energy into impulse? A quick explanation about the ship and the flywheel shape: the flywheel is a "tube", that is: a circle with a round hole. The ship is like the flywheel, but much heavier, and the internal radius of the ship is just a tad bigger than the external radius of the flywheel.
IGDA São Paulo member.Game Design student.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Speeder
Being more direct to those that do not understood: How I convert energy into impulse?

Make up any engine efficiency coefficient you want. Higher for easy mode, lower for difficult mode.

Since ship 'powerplant' capacity is just an arbitrary number itself, it really doesn't matter what values you use. Just pick something that works reasonably well for gameplay.
Huh... How I use that said coefficient?

(in fact I already planned the difficulty modes, each one will use a completly diffrent system)

And the powerplant is not a arbitraty value, specially because I am usign a real-world engine and power-plant, and I like to make games where the "nice" thigns on the manual are accurate.

So, that do not helped much :(
IGDA São Paulo member.Game Design student.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement