Sign in to follow this  
zalo

The for loop error [solved]

I'm new to C++ and the game making universe, but am trying to learn as best as I can. I'm currently teaching myself from a C++ for dummies book, but am stuck. When I tried to enter this block of code in the my compiler, I got a result completely opposite to what was supposed to occur. http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/Zalo10/error-1.jpg The code. http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/Zalo10/error1.jpg The result. The result I was looking for was 100, not 5050 I've compiled this same code in Dev C++ and Visual Studio 2008. Am I doing anything wrong? Or is it just the computer. [Edited by - zalo on August 14, 2008 5:45:57 PM]

Why would you expect this to be 100? What do you think the loop does? What does "x" represent after the for-loop is done?

The result of 5050 is correct. That for loops adds the numbers 1 through 100 (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + 100) into the variable x. That is 5050.

What you probably want in the for loop is x = x + 1. That is the number one, not the variable i. Since you copied this from a book, it may be hard to read with typical fixed-spaced fonts used.

I understand what you are saying, and what you suggested worked, but the book I was reading from does in fact say x += i.

It has to be a typo.

Thanks for your help.

This is one of the more friendly communities, I've been to.

[Edited by - zalo on August 14, 2008 6:03:32 PM]

A for loop statement usually consists of 3 things.

1) a initial value.
2) some condition on which the loop will continue while the condition is met.
3) some modifier to the initial value.

all of which are separated by ;'s

in the case of:

for (i=1; i<=100; i++) {

//some other code to execute
}

the first part i=1 sets the initial value of i to 1

the second part says keep looping so long as i is less than or equal to 100

the final part will increment i by 1 every iteration. (I think this is where you're getting hung up at)

basically the value of i will change every time the loop iterates. since you have i++ at the end of the for loop, the value of i will increase by 1 each iteration.

inside the loop you have the line x += i;

so since the value of i changes as follows: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7....99,100

the value of x will be equal to 0+1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+etc...

Probablly not a technically accurate explanation but hopefully you'll see what you're misunderstanding.

-=[ Megahertz ]=-