Sign in to follow this  
CarlML

DirectX DirectSound

CarlML    215
I'm trying to follow the tutorial on this page to add audio with DirectSound: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/audio-video/DirectSound9p1.aspx The author goes on to say that I obviously need to add reference to the project for Microsoft.DirectX and Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound. Obviously I have no clue how to do that since it get errors no matter what I do.(authors should not assume so much methinks) For starters I'm trying to add:
using Microsoft.DirectX;
using Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound;

But no deal. How do I add such a thing? I'm using Visual Studio 2008 pro, C++.

CarlML    215
I can find these files in:

C:\WINDOWS\assembly

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code\1.0.2902.0

But I have no idea how to add them to the project. When I open the references dialog in Visual Studio nothing apprears in the list no matter what paths I add.

Please assist.:) This should be a really simple thing... wanna make sound.

Also tried adding XAudio2 instead but that just led to a neverending chain of include files...:|

CarlML    215
"Hi children, today we going to build a spaceship. Obviously you are going to need a rocket engine and an intergalactic flux capacitor but I assume you already made that so just add a nice shiny start button and press it to fly away."

Promit    13246
So you're using:
1) DirectSound, which was killed off.
2) Managed DirectX, which was killed off.

Not really a great place to be. I suggest:
1) XNA, with XACT/BasicSound: Microsoft's official way of doing this sort of thing.
2) SlimDX, with XAudio2: Unofficial DirectX wrapper, and XAudio2 is the new API meant to replace DirectSound.

CarlML    215
Quote:
Original post by Promit
So you're using:
1) DirectSound, which was killed off.
2) Managed DirectX, which was killed off.

Not really a great place to be. I suggest:
1) XNA, with XACT/BasicSound: Microsoft's official way of doing this sort of thing.
2) SlimDX, with XAudio2: Unofficial DirectX wrapper, and XAudio2 is the new API meant to replace DirectSound.

Aha, I see. Thanks. It's kind of hard to know these things when starting out. I'm not actually using anything so far so there is still time to switch.:)

I'm not familiar with XNA at all. What is the simplest way to add audio then? I'm not about to develop an audio processing program, just want to hook up to a device load some wavs and play them.

The sample for XAudio2 in the Directx SDK uses this header: SDKwavefile.h, which can be found in another sample and uses like 30 different headers that i probably don't have...

Any good tutorials to start with?

Promit    13246
Well, you were using C#, so you can take a look at the SlimDX XAudio2 sample. As for XNA, there's a class called BasicSound that is dead easy to use. I'm sure the sample games use it somewhere, so just poke through that.

CarlML    215
No, I'm using C++. The tutorial was listed under C++, but i guess it is C# then.

Isn't XNA some kind of major framework that I need to conform the project to? I'd rather keep things simple but i'll check those things out.

CarlML    215
Well I finally got XAudio2 working after some trial and error.:)

One issue though... When I play a sound I can only play it once. After that the pointer is left at the end of the buffer I guess (IXAudio2SourceVoice). What do I need to do to always start a sound from the beginning again when calling Start()?