Dungeons of Yore - turn based tactical dungeon bashing

Started by
2 comments, last by BlueSalamander 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello All, I've been working on this game for the last 2-3 months (although I've had some of the graphic / sound assets for much longer) and thought I'd share it with you. Outline of gameplay: First select a dungeon, then select 1-6 characters from the 6 available, enter the dungeon and gradually level up by eliminating lesser monsters and collecting treasure in order to defeat the end boss(es) of each level. The game is turn based where each of your characters can perform actions such as movement, melee, ranged attacks and various special abilities specific to each particular character. The view mode is pseudo isometric. There are a range of monsters from the typical dungeon fodder of goblins and skeletons to more powerful fiends, vampires and big beefy musclemen. Game is played with keyboard & mouse. Mouse input is used to select actions, target enemies and make 'step' moves into each of 4 directions. Keyboard can also be used to move (cursor keys/arrow keys), the TAB key can be used to end the turn of the currently selected character, ENTER will highlight all visible creatures, and display their hitpoint/experience values. ESC brings up a menu that allows you to save games and quit among other things. Experience points are shared by all party members when an enemy is eliminated although the character who deals the 'killing blow' receives a larger share of the points. Anyway, for those of you who are interested in having a go at this game, which as far as I am concerned is almost as good as done, then it can be downloaded from here: (32 MB) Dungeons_Of_Yore_Game and here is a screenshot:
Advertisement
Hi there,

Thanks for making this! It's a good game. The atmosphere is similar to that of Temple of Elemental Evil. Indeed the music and graphics are very similar.

Here is how you could make the game better, in my opinion:
- allow the player to scroll the screen when mousing on the screen's edge
- allow the player to move a character to a given square by clicking that square (use A* to know the path)
- allow the player to melee attack or shoot an enemy by clicking it (no need for the GUI buttons - if character is not adjacent assume a shoot attack, if adjacent assume a melee attack)
- never start the game with the party divided (in the game I played tonight, 3 characters were in the west room and 3 were in the east room)
- more info on experience and how much damage each character can do
- A better AI.

[Edited by - BlueSalamander on August 16, 2008 7:30:36 AM]
Thanks for your feedback -

I've thought a while ago about some of those issues you mentioned and decided against some of them, while some of them are actually already in the game.

Scrolling arond the screen - would rather not allow.
Mouse clicking to move to path has been deliberately left out, although easy to implement I prefer the current method.
Clicking on an enemy - this does as you've already said - if you are adjacent it attacks in melee and if further away attacks with ranged. The buttons are actually superfluous in this case.
Regarding the splitting of the party - that was an attempt on a single level to try something a little different, but I agree that it doesn't really work well.
Regarding the info on experience and how much damage etc - I may put that into pdf document.

AI - I assume you are referring to the way they move away from the player's characters after melee attacks are performed. This is intended so that multiple enemies can get an attack in against a player who may block a doorway or similar. Originally I had them remain next to the player after combat but it made them too susceptible to being ganged up on by all the player's characters.

Thanks for downloading the game, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
from Matt

Quote:Clicking on an enemy - this does as you've already said - if you are adjacent it attacks in melee and if further away attacks with ranged. The buttons are actually superfluous in this case.

Sorry, I didn't realise that yesterday. That's nice. The TAB shortcut is good too. Maybe you could make all these elements more prominent in the manual and in-game.

Quote:AI - I assume you are referring to the way they move away from the player's characters after melee attacks are performed. This is intended so that multiple enemies can get an attack in against a player who may block a doorway or similar. Originally I had them remain next to the player after combat but it made them too susceptible to being ganged up on by all the player's characters.

Actually I was thinking about the way creatures tend to move back and forth after they've attacked, as if they just wanted to finish all their move points.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement