Is there a Plugin/Utility for interoperability between VS2005 and VS2008?

Started by
2 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 15 years, 8 months ago
Basically, I'd like to be able to work with a single solution/project file in both VS2008 and VS2005. Is there a plugin for either of these environments that would enable the reading of its counterpart's solution/project files? Alternatively, I'd like to find a utility that can forward- and backward-convert project files between those 2 versions (or maybe even more!) Google didn't turn up a lot, but I have a feeling a niche program like this would have finicky search strings attached to it...
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
Advertisement
Hrm. I've not heard of anything like this. Obviously 2008 will upconvert any solution you give it, but I'm not sure about going back the other direction. The real question is why would you want to? I assume that you're working on the project in two different locations? Visual Studio Express is free, so is upgrading an option? Also, couldn't you maintain two seperate solution files that point to the same code files? Might have to maintain a change log of new and deleted files so you can keep the two synched, but I'm not sure if there is another way.
if you're only using 2005 features, you can edit the 2008 sln by hand and change the version back to 8. works just fine for us.
There's a lot of stuff in the SlimDX build system for this. I'm not entirely sure how far jpetrie went with it, but I think it will correctly downscale the entire project from our 2008 solution and projects to the 2005 version. Maybe he can weigh in with more details. The source is open, you're free to look at what we've done.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement