Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cell Shading

This topic is 6031 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive tutorial covering this technique? Ive looked and looked..but navigating the internet seems to be becoming more and more of a challenging task.

Jeff Lander published a great article on this in the Game Developer Mag

You can see the article, demo and source code here:
http://www.darwin3d.com/gdm2000.htm#gdm0200

Basically you create a 1D texture and then calculate the intensities at each vertex using the intesity to index a texture coordinate into the texture.

This way you can treat the texture as a lookup table (very much like we did in the old days with colour look up tables)

If you go to intels site and follow the links to there developer section, under Non-Photorealistic they have some info and demos as well.

What a funky coincidence. I have been doing some serious research about cell shading lately, here is the *best* page of links to papers about it that I have found:

NPR Papers

That should be pretty good right there, along with some of Jeff Lander's papers, and if you *still* need more references, check out the bibliographies at the bottom of some of the papers.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games (I had to make one up, to fit in with the rest of you )
Project: Writing tutorials and code for my OpenGL Game Programming series
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials

Edited by - ShiningKnight on June 7, 2001 10:46:46 AM

I''m not sure if it''s the same thing, but it sounds quite a bit like it: try checking out the article on "Attenuation Maps" in Game Programming Gems.

Hey Firahs,

This is something that I have taken quite a bit of interest in lately and possibly I will be starting a research project on it (not that there isn't already a lot of research done in the non-photorealistic rendering area). So if you get any interesting results it would be great if you could keep us informed.

I have a really simply web based implementation of the algo Lander described. I did it using the Virtools Dev software (just to show how flexable it is ) , I might put it up in a couple of weeks if I find some time.

Cheers,
Sof

Edited by - sof on June 10, 2001 3:44:41 AM