Sign in to follow this  
ronnie_o

Allegro -- Trying to Double Buffer, Crashing

This is my first post. I'm trying to get into 2D games with C++ & Allegro. I've studied C++ for the past year or two in my free time, and I'm very into OOP. I'm trying to make a simple game of checkers. I can draw the checkerboard directly to the screen, but I can't get double buffering to work. Of course when I draw to the screen it flickers like crazy. When I try to make and blit a buffer, my program shows a black screen for one second then crashes. I am compiling with Dev-CppPortable which runs on a Kingston 1Gb USB drive. Can someone help me? The entire code can be found at: http://telenetwork.com/~ronald.oburke/checkers_gamedev.txt The main issue is in the graphics object located at the bottom of the code. A lot of the the design (especially the singleton Game object) is copied from tutorials on the web. (I think the tutorial was by Joost Ronke?) I DO NOT claim this to be my original work. However, the idea to make a checkers game was mine. And the checker and checkerboard are pretty much my own creations.

For the time being, I'm creating a new project with the sole purpose of double buffering anything at all to the screen. Maybe If I start that way instead of adding DB into an existing project I'll learn what the problem is.