• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Garibalde

OpenGL Q: How do i load static 3ds Max models in OpenGL

This topic is 3718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have written an opengl program for which i load a few models defined by vertex and triangles (which i interact with by dynamics and collisions). I would like to draw other models on the scene by loading precreated models from 3ds max. Is there a loader in Opengl to load such created models, These models are not animated or anything just meshes. thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisement
I used lib3ds to do this and I'm pretty happy with it. (It only handles parsing of the *.3ds files though, you'll have to do the rendering yourself...)

How do you put texture on your models... It's not that easy thing... But I must admit that I've only used 3ds models that I've downloaded from net and they don't have any image attached to them...

Thanks AverageJoeSSU and kloffy

I am looking into both currently so see which is more suitable for me. Does this support the new max files from 3Ds Max 9.0+? I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Original post by Garibalde
Thanks AverageJoeSSU and kloffy

I am looking into both currently so see which is more suitable for me. Does this support the new max files from 3Ds Max 9.0+? I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks again.

As far as I know, the .3DS format never changed since the .MAX format replaced it. This brings its own problems, for example there's no support for bones/skeletons in 3DS, but for basic verts/faces/UV's, materials and simple vertex animation it's a perfect binary format to learn.

That spacesimulator.net link from AverageJoeSSU is absolute gold, it helped me about 2 years ago on the subject and I worked my way up to designing and implementing my own proprietary format.

If you want to load a huge .MAX file, with its whole materials and animation tracks, you should export those models as COLLADA files (*.dae).

Then use a COLLADA loader,
COLLADA-DOM.

COLLADA is thought as an open standard for exchanging media. Most 3D editors support it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!