Q: How do i load static 3ds Max models in OpenGL

Started by
5 comments, last by superoptimo 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I have written an opengl program for which i load a few models defined by vertex and triangles (which i interact with by dynamics and collisions). I would like to draw other models on the scene by loading precreated models from 3ds max. Is there a loader in Opengl to load such created models, These models are not animated or anything just meshes. thanks for any help you can provide.
Advertisement
http://spacesimulator.net/tut4_3dsloader.html

good tutorial... good working code... worked for me.

------------------------------

redwoodpixel.com

I used lib3ds to do this and I'm pretty happy with it. (It only handles parsing of the *.3ds files though, you'll have to do the rendering yourself...)
How do you put texture on your models... It's not that easy thing... But I must admit that I've only used 3ds models that I've downloaded from net and they don't have any image attached to them...
Thanks AverageJoeSSU and kloffy

I am looking into both currently so see which is more suitable for me. Does this support the new max files from 3Ds Max 9.0+? I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Quote:Original post by Garibalde
Thanks AverageJoeSSU and kloffy

I am looking into both currently so see which is more suitable for me. Does this support the new max files from 3Ds Max 9.0+? I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks again.

As far as I know, the .3DS format never changed since the .MAX format replaced it. This brings its own problems, for example there's no support for bones/skeletons in 3DS, but for basic verts/faces/UV's, materials and simple vertex animation it's a perfect binary format to learn.

That spacesimulator.net link from AverageJoeSSU is absolute gold, it helped me about 2 years ago on the subject and I worked my way up to designing and implementing my own proprietary format.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

If you want to load a huge .MAX file, with its whole materials and animation tracks, you should export those models as COLLADA files (*.dae).

Then use a COLLADA loader,
COLLADA-DOM.

COLLADA is thought as an open standard for exchanging media. Most 3D editors support it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement