Database design software.

Started by
3 comments, last by NewBreed 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello. Can anybody recommend some software they use to design a database? I'm not too keen on Access, as it's not too helpful for actually designing one. Thanks, NB.
Advertisement
Hmmm Visio is pretty good, but it really depends on what you actually want to design. Pen and paper is pretty good too. So is Excel.
What database engine are you planning on using? Most engines come with decent visual design tools, or have open-source tools available.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Personally I use the pen and paper approach most often. Depending on the project. If the project requires me to document it all I prefer to use Visio for that, although the symbols needed can also be found in WORD (I think).

For actually managing the tables in the database, that depends on your personall preference and the database you are using. Excel doesn't really need an external tool for that. SQLDeveloper from Oracle can connect to Oracle (Duh..), Access and MySQL. The best feature support is with Oracle though.
If you are running mySQL on a server where you also have a PHP capable webserver I would go with phpMyAdmin to manage it.
Quote:Original post by BLiTZWiNG
Hmmm Visio is pretty good, but it really depends on what you actually want to design. Pen and paper is pretty good too. So is Excel.

Hm, I haven't had a look at Visio - I'll do that thanks. I'm not too keen on Excel as I find it pretty difficult to shift information about as required while still keeping the graphical arrows there pointing to the correct information.

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
What database engine are you planning on using? Most engines come with decent visual design tools, or have open-source tools available.

I'm not using any particular database engine - it is a home brewed one, I'm just after something to help me piece it all together.

Quote:Original post by ractoc
Personally I use the pen and paper approach most often. Depending on the project. If the project requires me to document it all I prefer to use Visio for that, although the symbols needed can also be found in WORD (I think).

For actually managing the tables in the database, that depends on your personall preference and the database you are using. Excel doesn't really need an external tool for that. SQLDeveloper from Oracle can connect to Oracle (Duh..), Access and MySQL. The best feature support is with Oracle though.
If you are running mySQL on a server where you also have a PHP capable webserver I would go with phpMyAdmin to manage it.

I've tried the pen and paper method but things get so messy the amount of times I change things... :( I'll have a look at Visio, maybe it could help.

Thanks all,
NB.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement