Perlin Noise

Started by
13 comments, last by Matt Aufderheide 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi, using vb.net 2003 and dx9.0c I've googled perlin noise to death,went deep in to searches and I still can't get a grasp on it.I've read that you can apply it to anything you want. I have code where a guy used a dib and was animating the noise with loops, I'm not figuring out anything with that though. All the other code I have is just throwing me. I need help. I have the improved noise 3d algorithm. How would I use it on a quad.

Vertices(0) = New CustomVertex.PositionColored(XMIN, 0, ZMIN, Color.OrangeRed.ToArgb)
        Vertices(1) = New CustomVertex.PositionColored(XMIN, 0, ZMAX, Color.Red.ToArgb)
        Vertices(2) = New CustomVertex.PositionColored(XMAX, 0, ZMIN, Color.Red.ToArgb)
        Vertices(3) = New CustomVertex.PositionColored(XMAX, 0, ZMAX, Color.OrangeRed.ToArgb)

I've tried things like (XMIN + Noise(0.9,0.8,0.9) , stuff like that because I don't get it. Also x = XMIN + XMAX / 2 with y and z folowing the same way than just ran Noise(x,y,z) If I get some help with just this quad maybe I can get some idea on how noise is implemented. Thanks Steve
Advertisement
heeelllp

Could you please be a little more precise on what you want to do with it ?

In the meantime: http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_perlin.htm
I wanted to make some clouds for one.
I also wanted to do noise to see other
things I could possibly use it for.
Clouds would be the main thing though.

I've been to that link and many others.
I've googled it to death,I need to know how
to implement it,that is what I'm not picking
up on.

Thanks
Steve
Mr Riemer's tutorials on HLSL should be great for you. It covers exactly things like using perlin noise map to create a gradient skybox.

Edit: typos.
I'm using dx9 as I stated in my first post.
I had seen that before and didn't see anything to
help.
I should add that I'm not using any pixel or vetex shaders
either.

Thanks
Steve
if you are not or can not use any vertex or pixel shaders, your options are blending several textures together with noise at varying resolutions.

sorry but without the shaders that is all you got i think
Quando Omni Flunkus MoritatiWhen All Else Fails, Play Dead!
You don't need shaders
I'll be back to post in a little while.
I still need help if anybody has any.

Thanks
Steve
what exact problem are you having? by the way im from shelton.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement