[Help] Incrementing a piece of music

Started by
6 comments, last by Kelly G 15 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I seem to have reached a creative stall as in that I simply am not totally secure on how to proceed in making music for my games. So far, I have this: MP3 Download Just a simple percussion and a F. Horn (that may be switched for other instrument, if it sounds better. So far it's the only one I felt slightly more pleased with). I'm using East West Silver. Although it may not sound like it, I got inspired into building this melody after hearing some of the 'The Last Samurai' music. So I came here to ask [all of] you, what should I do next? What path should I go in, in order to further add "volume" to the song and come closer to completing it and actually have something usable? Here are the two solo tracks: French Horn - French Horn Solo.mp3 Drum Loop - Drum Loop Solo.mp3 Thank you for your time, Rafael -Kryzon- [Edited by - Kryzon on August 20, 2008 3:29:33 PM]
Advertisement
No one can really tell you what to do. It's your own ideas on music (as any other potential artist) that bring a sense of individuality to what you do. Taking that out of your hands kind of defeats the whole purpose of making music in the first place, doesn't it? That is, if someone were to offer stylistic suggestions and you would use them directly, it just wouldn't be YOUR ideas crafting the piece.

Making music should be about expressing oneself as an individual. If that weren't the case, why would you feel the BURNING DESIRE to CREATE music at all? ;)

That being said, I think you are off to a good start with the melody. It's indeed a very eastern sounding piece. (very japanese sounding)

The melody kind of reminds me of something Joe Hisaishi might write. I think for this type of piece, this sense of sparcity in the orchestration actually makes it more authentic. If you were to add other instruments, be sure to exercise a certain degree of moderation. There is much to be said about the beauty of simplicity. :) A japanese flute and a few woodblocks might work very well for an additional section.

As for the mix itself, the drums could use a bit more reverb trail. It sounds a bit metallic at the moment because of a sharp cutoff in the reverb amount that doesn't really blend into the sound stage, atm.

Btw, when you say "something usable", what are you implying? Is this something that you would like to eventually put to use inside of a game?
Quote:Original post by Rain 7
No one can really tell you what to do. It's your own ideas on music (as any other potential artist) that bring a sense of individuality to what you do. Taking that out of your hands kind of defeats the whole purpose of making music in the first place, doesn't it? That is, if someone were to offer stylistic suggestions and you would use them directly, it just wouldn't be YOUR ideas crafting the piece.

Agreed.

Quote:A japanese flute and a few woodblocks might work very well for an additional section.

This is one of the suggestions I was looking for! Thank you. I honestly just did the melody and that's it, I seriously didn't know how to go forward with the music. Now I'll try variations and new ones, along with the woodblocks and japanese flutes (just need to find the right samples, though).

Quote:
Btw, when you say "something usable", what are you implying? Is this something that you would like to eventually put to use inside of a game?

Exactly. A 100% complete, mastered and finished piece of music ready to be used in a game.

I thank Rain 7 for his feedback. If anybody else wants to contribute to this topic, please do so.
Quote:Original post by Rain 7

Hmm, although I see your point, I disagree with this somewhat. To move from apprentice to master, you need to pick up knowledge about the subject and learn how to apply it to your own work. This might be by listening to specific suggestions, or it might be just from using some standard procedures, the names of which might not yet be known to you. Each person can go off and study individually and in isolation, perhaps coming out with a masterpiece, or perhaps struggling because certain avenues never make themselves apparent. Or we can all benefit from sharing ideas with each other, and still inject plenty of originality in the way we select some ideas and reject others, and in how we choose to develop upon them.
Quote:Original post by KylotanHmm, although I see your point, I disagree with this somewhat. To move from apprentice to master, you need to pick up knowledge about the subject and learn how to apply it to your own work. This might be by listening to specific suggestions, or it might be just from using some standard procedures, the names of which might not yet be known to you. Each person can go off and study individually and in isolation, perhaps coming out with a masterpiece, or perhaps struggling because certain avenues never make themselves apparent. Or we can all benefit from sharing ideas with each other, and still inject plenty of originality in the way we select some ideas and reject others, and in how we choose to develop upon them.

Fair enough, but this scenario obviously doesn't account for a master doing the apprentice's work FOR them. ;) Sharing is one thing, but asking someone to do the work for you is kind of self-defeating for an artist. There is very little sense of learning that takes place within that.

IMO, a master can really only become a master when he learns to take full responsibility for his ideas. Not to single you out at all Kryzon, but I think experimentation and listening to one's inner voice is far more beneficial than simply asking someone else to fill in the blank for you.

I was primarily responding to this...

Quote:Original post by KryzonIf you get inspired about this and try your own take on this melody and\or variations, please go ahead and post it! perhaps I can create something new from it.

That's kind of what I was getting from the opening post, that the OP simply wanted a quick way to complete the composition via help from an external source, but it is hardly ever THAT easy. Making music is NOT easy. It requires labor, craftsmanship and patience. It is only through failure that success can be reached.

Apart from that, I agree with you very much.
Yeah, I guess what I really meant was to have another possible "media" for someone to express their suggestion(s): instead of common text, using a MIDI or something just to show what harmonical\melodical\instrumental additions I could get it into my mind.

But I see now that by having more resources like information about instruments that I could use along with the already-made work, it really broadens your vision of what you had previously. Gives you more room to work in, more freedom, more security.

EDIT: I thought of adding also a Shamisen guitar, if I feel it still needs a more eastern characteristic. Following the main melody but with quick strokes and accidental transition between bar ends\begginings.
Right on man. :) You got the right idea.

Good luck to you!
This would be kind-a cheesy, but you could have the drums drop-out, then a big string section comes in with an intricate and drawn-out counterpoint thingy based- on the chords you've already established, except instead of ending on the nice resolution that everyone expects, you end on some dark chord, then th drums come-back with the strings playing some simple, punchy rhythm and do some kind of dark war-marchy section with a different theme. then... I don't know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement